moving a ball??

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/moving a ball??

Jester(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to make a Pong game and I have no idea how to correctly move the ball. I've searched the forums but can't find anything useful to me. Would someone post some sample code and explain how it works?

I can get the ball to move in a straight line and hit the bat but it won't bounce back. I've also looked in the sample programs and seen some working code but I don't understand how or why it works.

Thanks

Adam Novagen(Posted 2006) [#2]
How long have you been programming, Jester? I need to know before I come up with some suggestions. I made a pong game myself once, with the "original" graphics style, i.e. all rectangles; it was just for fun, and I'll send you a copy of the code if you like!

Jester(Posted 2006) [#3]
ADAM,

I've been programming for about 3 weeks give or take a few days. If your code has plenty of comments explaining it,I'd love to see it.If not I may not fully understand whats going on.

I've got the ball and bats on the screen and can move the bats. It's getting the ball to move like I want it that has me stuck. Once I get the ball moving like I want,I'm pretty sure I can add scores and reset the ball with no problems.

Also this is a 2 player pong game with no AI bat movement. I plan to add a 1 player option after getting the 2 player part working like I want it and my programming skills develop a little more.

Thanks

Adam Novagen(Posted 2006) [#4]
Okay, I'll re-comment my code. I should have it ready in a few days... Hang tight, man!

bryan970(Posted 2006) [#5]
here is one way modified a bit from that book game programming for teens

first make a type

;The ball type: for the ball
Type ball
Field x,y,xv,yv ;x, y coordinates, and x, y velocity
End Type

then initialize your values to whatever you want
ball\x = whatever
ball\y = whatever
ball\xv = whatever
ball\xy = whatever

Then in your main loop you will have
DrawImage (ballimage,ball\x,ball\y)

then you will want a checkcollisions function
and in that function you will have something like

if ball\y <= 0 or ball\y >= 600 ;ball hits top or bottom
ball\yv = -ball\yv + rand(-2,2) ;add a little randomness
endif

That book game programming for teams has the full source code for a pong game and I think it is like $60 bucks at Borders

bryan970(Posted 2006) [#6]
almost forgot the most important part! you need to update your ball somewhere maybe right before you draw it in your main loop

;update ball's position on screen
ball\x = ball\x + ball\xv
ball\y = ball\y + ball\yv

Adam Novagen(Posted 2006) [#7]
I LOVE THAT BOOK!!! GPFT gave me my big break into the field!

Jester(Posted 2006) [#8]
I have the second edition of that book on the way. Hopefully it will get here soon.

Thanks again!