Joystick problems

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/Joystick problems

Gregor(Posted 2006) [#1]
Blitz+ doesn't recognize my USB digital gamepad. Only the commands JoyHit And JoyDown detects it (Trust SightFighter Vibration Feedback). Windows XP recognizes the gamepad . Other blitz command doesn't recognizes the joystick either. I cannot believe that Blitz doesn't support my it. Anyone any idea?

Gregor(Posted 2006) [#2]
So I guess i'm not the only who don't know.

Pineapple(Posted 2006) [#3]
Maybe because it's digital, not analogue, I never use joystick/pads in my stuff, only the keyboard and mouse so I wouldnt know.

It may be a good idea to email James and ask him to look at it! :)

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Contact/_index_.php

Dabz

GfK(Posted 2006) [#4]
Blitz doesn't natively support force feedback if that's what you're talking about.

Gregor(Posted 2006) [#5]
Im not looking for force feedback. It doesn't make sense to me why blitz doesn't support joystick/ gamepad.

There are more people in the blitz3d community who have the same problems.

I want to make a multi-player game for 1 computer. Something like social gaming so I need the joysticks or gamepads.

Terry B.(Posted 2006) [#6]
Blitz does support joysticks....I have used them in three of my space shooters.
I think it might depend on what type of joystick you have though.
No idea about gamepads...

GfK(Posted 2006) [#7]
There are more people in the blitz3d community who have the same problems.
Where?

You're going to have to post some code, I think. Every stick/pad I've ever used has worked fine with Blitz.

Gregor(Posted 2006) [#8]
Only the commands Joytype and Joydown are being recognized. No other joystick commands.

So it only tells me that blitz sees my joystick as a digital one and react with Joydown the buttons. But no reaction to my d-pad, steering wheel and the joystick (it's a combo joystick/gamepad/steering-wheel from trust)

GfK(Posted 2006) [#9]
Simple test - write a program that continually displays the result of each and every joystick command at once.

Fairly sure its possible to get results, but the commands you need to use may not be the ones you would expect to use.

If your controller is listed in Windows as a series of separate joysticks, then you need to specify a port number with each joystick command.

Gregor(Posted 2006) [#10]
If used the example programs (the joy.... commands)from the manual and they don't show any result. You should see any result. The problem is that in windows the control panel:game controls the joystick works great, so the problem lies inside blitz+.

b32(Posted 2006) [#11]
Have you tried using different 'port' parameters ? Maybe the pad is seen as 2 devices or a 2nd device or something. If you run DxDiag from Start->Run in windows, there is a dxinput tab that you could check for data.

Gregor(Posted 2006) [#12]
No, the port is definatly not the problem. There are 2 joy-commands which work well.

Pineapple(Posted 2006) [#13]
I suggest you break your code down to a simple example, then if it doesnt work, post the code here... As well as the name of your joystick/pad in case someone else has the same.

Dabz

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#14]
Look in the code archives here.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1592

This was written for B3d, not BPlus, so I don't know if this will run for you.

If it does work, however, you can hit the Tab key for debug mode and see what axis are moving, and what they are assigned to.

Gregor(Posted 2006) [#15]
Maybe blitz cannot detect a combo joystick/gamepad with analog and digital joystick in one?