why my game "breaks" often?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/why my game "breaks" often?

amu lojes(Posted 2006) [#1]
My game works fine .

but while the game is on it "breaks"(suddenly slows down) then again it works fine . this happens often
especially if my machine is on for more than half hour.

my machine is 120.0 MB ram

what could be the reason?
any help?

amu

Shagwana(Posted 2006) [#2]
The reason could be a million things, try removing little parts of your program untill the problem goes away. The last part you removed will most likley be the problem.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2006) [#3]
Is 120 MB of RAM even possible?

Mr Snidesmin(Posted 2006) [#4]
Perhaps he meant 128?

Pineapple(Posted 2006) [#5]

120.0 MB

If your running XP that nowhere near the amount of RAM that's recommended, I'd say at least double that!

I found when learning Blitz that if you have too many types, then looping through them every so and so, it slows the program down to a shuddering halt!

Try reorganizing your code a little.

With no source, it's anyones guess really!

Dabz

GfK(Posted 2006) [#6]
Is 120 MB of RAM even possible?
Yes - 128mb of RAM, 8 of it allocated to some sort of horrible on-board graphics thing.

Theory explains the slown-down problems, too.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2006) [#7]
It's true that Blitz can have too many types, but my upcoming game Blox has over 360 types per level, one for each block & ball, and it loops through each block type TWICE for EACH ball type - 720 type iterations & updates PER BALL! However, I can run it on a Windows 98 PC with a 400 Mhz Celeron, 256 MB of RAM, and a measly 16 MB GFX mem without a bit of slowdown, so I wouldn't worry about overdoing it on the types.

amu lojes(Posted 2006) [#8]
hi all guys there

my machine is 128mb RAM

i fixed the problem.

the problem was i've put up some 8 to 10 TEXT command inside main loop
to display player's score , lives ...etc.

i replaced all TEXT command with DrawImage command

now the game is running fine and "smoothly"

Adam Novagen(Posted 2006) [#9]
Interesting... I've never had the Text command slow anything down, and my (personal) PC isn't exactly top-notch, as you can tell...