How to attach fonts to an excecutive file

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/How to attach fonts to an excecutive file

Parcival(Posted 2006) [#1]
In my program (BlitzPlus) I use the font Vivaldi, which is not available on every windows system. It I start the program on a system without Vivaldi, the program uses Arial instead. What can I do to fix this?

Can I tell BlitzPlus to read out the font in a special folder? I tried something like

Global vivaldi_b = LoadFont("fonts\Vivaldi",32,1,0,0)

with fonts being a new folder containing Vivaldi, but it does not work.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#2]
Check that the internal font name ( displayed when you double click it ) is the same as the filename. If not, you may need to rename it so that the filename matches the internal font name. That ought to work. Pretty sure it used to work anyway. Of course, you'll need to have a license which permits you to redistribute the font.

An easier ( and potentially cheaper ) option may be to make a bitmap font of Vivaldi and use that. You neatly sidestep licensing issues ( since the US copyright office stubbornly refuses to accept that the physical image of a typeface can be copyrighted ) and you won't have problems loading and displaying it. Should be faster too.

Of course, if you're using it as a gadget font, that won't work. But if you're using it as a screen font in a BlitzPlus game, it will.