2D RPG with Mappy

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/2D RPG with Mappy

Benasp(Posted 2006) [#1]
I was wondering if/how there might be a way to load a exported map array (.MAR) file with Blitz. I am working on an RPG, and I'm stuck just trying to load this so I can tile-scroll. Could somebody help me?

If not, are there any other options?

robot(Posted 2006) [#2]
Why not just load the mappy file so it's easier to check for collisons.
-------------------------------
Would you pass the gray poupond ?

Benasp(Posted 2006) [#3]
I didn't think you could do that... you mean the .FMP file?

Edit: I don't think I made it clear that I'm not sure how to load any map data file.

Alaric(Posted 2006) [#4]
Your question should really be about that particular file format. You need to figure out if it is simply one large bitmap file (an image) or if it symbolizes each individual square of the map using a numbering system. If the map is loaded in individually seperate squares then most likely square of the map has a number associated with it. In this case you may be up a creek w/o a paddle because you would not have a copy of each image associated with each number. You should google the format or search for it on wiki to find out more about this format.

Phil Newton(Posted 2006) [#5]
There's a Mappy library for Blitz on the official Mappy site (http://www.tilemap.co.uk/mappy.php - link is about halfway down the page) which has functions for loading, displaying and interacting with maps. There should also be a few demos with it to help you out. Loading a map (FMP) then becomes as simple as using 'MapLoad("MyMap.fmp")'.

Hope that helps.