Is Massively Multiplayer Possible?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/Is Massively Multiplayer Possible?

Brett(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi, I'm relatively new to B+. I've done a bit of tinkering and learned some basic concepts on my own and with a bit of help from some files I found from here. And I have a question.

Is it possible to make a Massively Multiplayer game of any sort in B+ assuming you have a web server, and if so, does anybody know a good place to start learning how?

Thank you for any answers I receive in advance.

Regular K(Posted 2006) [#2]
Its possible, but not practical.

Brett(Posted 2006) [#3]
Alright then, that's a bit unfortunate. Alright then, what would be practical, a language like C++ or something?

Wings(Posted 2006) [#4]
I belive using blitz pluss for massive multi player is a good idea. (To learn tcp)

thoe not sure i want to play WOW with a blitz pluss server. :)

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#5]
The impractableness of an mmorpg isn't really todo with the language, its more todo with the nature of the beast.

You need a server, a shed load of assets and a load of people/time todo it in.

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#6]
If you want to make a massive multi player game, use Blitz' multiplayer commands (e.g. StartNetGame, HostNetGame, etc.). I learned about these in the Command Reference area of Blitz3D under the Blitz2D section.

Rck(Posted 2006) [#7]
Don't use the built-in game stuff for anything more than a 2-player game of checkers. Really, that stuff if slow. Learn to use the built-in TCP and UDP lower level stuff. It'll be a good lesson, and is a lot more powerful/customizable without a whole lot more time invested.

Brett(Posted 2006) [#8]
Well thanks, and actually, I have a server and a few people, I'm lucky to have the position I do to learn both server side and client side programming. I'll keep your suggestions in mind as I work ahead toward the goal in mind.