Help with slow program

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/Help with slow program

robot(Posted 2006) [#1]
I have recently made a game , and it kinda of runs slowly. Can any one give some tips about what i could do to speed it up???????

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#2]
turn off debug on the main program menu.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#3]
- check your available video memory. If you load of graphics at the same time and they don't all fit in the video memory, things will get real slow, real fast
- What kind of frames-per-second are you getting? If you get a decent number of FPS, it may be your game logic itself that needs to take bigger steps or speed up
- What kind of hardware are you running this on?
- How much RAM are you using? Any insanely large arrays gobbling up memory? If you exceed the available physical RAM, windows will start swapping into your virtual memory swap file, which slows things down tremendously

...And countless others, but really need some more information of what it is your program is doing to be helpful.

robot(Posted 2006) [#4]
sorry I didnt clearify what exactly was going wrong...

After the game has been running for awhile, the sound will start to skip, but the picture will run normally.
Thats really my biggest concern. You might ask if the sound loads right, everything loads right, but some times it skips.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#5]
Have you checked your memory usage while playing the game?

e.g. run in windowed mode and look at the task manager, see if your programs start taking more and more RAM as times goes on?

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
I once had a problem with MP3s stuttering about 1 time in 20, replaced them with oggs and all was fine. But yeah it could be a memory problem, or even you have played too many channels on the soundcard or something, probably not though.

robot(Posted 2006) [#7]
i would change the sound file im playing the backround music, but i dont have a prgram that can change sound files with music, can you give me some examples of cheap sound ettiting programs

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#8]
Try 'Audacity' -- a very good program, and completely free. It can convert between WAV, MP3 and OGG among many other features.