Window Manipulation

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/Window Manipulation

Alaric(Posted 2006) [#1]
For a couple years i used to program in Blitz 2D. In it, you could ask for input from the same window in which you drew the graphics. However, When i ported the same programs source to Blitz+, I found that this was no longer the case. Now, whenever you use the "input" command it opens up what seems to be the DOS prompt and and simply takes the input in that way, as opposed to simply drawing over the graphics screen. This is fine when i want to simply play with the typed input, but when i intend to output with a command other than "print" to output data, i must open a graphics window as well whose title is not affected by the "apptitle" command. So, my questions are: is there any way to close the first "input" window, is there any way to title the "graphics" window, and is there some way to get the "input" commands to appear on the "graphics" window?

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#2]
is there any way to close the first "input" window,
No, not once it has opened. (AFAIK)

is there any way to title the "graphics" window,
AppTitle works fine for me. Just make sure you set it before the Graphics command is called.

and is there some way to get the "input" commands to appear on the "graphics" window?
No, not without writing your own code.

Some of these old 2D behaviors will still work correctly under Blitz3D, but not in BlitzPlus. Remember, BlitzPlus is designed to make GUI applications, so a lot of it's 2D graphics features are 'screwed up' due to Blitz allowing you to use Canvas's within windows that can accept the 2D drawing commands.

Depending on your intentions, you have (at least) two choices;
-either write your own input command that works like the original command (it can be done, using Text, GetKey, etc.)

-or change the code to use a 'Windows' app for input/output (such as using a Label for output and a Text Field for input)

As an alternative, you might try your code in the Blitz3D demo and see if you get better results (but I still don't believe that there's any 'graphical' input command).