Platformer scrolling

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/Platformer scrolling

FearedMachina(Posted 2006) [#1]
Ok I've been using blitz for a while now, but only the 3d parts. I'm familiar with platformers, but only in languages which support a 'view' which can scroll across the screen like a camera in 3d mode.

Blitz doesn't have anything like this in 2d mode right? Scrolling in a 2s platformer game is all coded to make the objects go off either side of the screen, to make them apear as if they scroll right? I'd love somebodyto say no.

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#2]
A map-scroller/browser is very easy to make tho.. have no fear, Machina!

FearedMachina(Posted 2006) [#3]
Hmm, on one hand it seems easy, because all you have to do is scroll everything except your player in the opposite direction, but on the other hand, that can get really confusing. Thanks though.

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#4]
I have a poor example of a 2D scroller on my website. I plan on improving it when I get time, but it might get you started for now...

Also, check out the Universal Map Editor in the ToolBox. You'll find it extremely useful for sidescrollers.

FearedMachina(Posted 2006) [#5]
I saw your example already but I've already got my map situation figured out, so it did more to confuse me because I'm really only looking for a good way to scroll what I already have. I'll ceck out the UME though.