Weird Dots

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/Weird Dots

Buggy(Posted 2006) [#1]
Even though this is the blitz+ forums, I actually use Blitz3D (though as of now I only make 2D games). I hope that won't make a difference in my question.

Whenever I use blitz to preanimate images and then save them, every once in a while I find weird little dots in my image, in the color of the masked color of the image. I have tried toggling the tformfilter to no avail.

However, this also happens when I'm just doing simple stuff in Blitz... I draw a cow in MS Paint, load it up, make it move in Blitz, and every once in a while, little dots show up outside the cow but in the image (in the masked area), in the color I masked. This has been happening to me since the beginning of time and it's bugging me to no end. Is this a bug in MaskImage?

Buggy(Posted 2006) [#2]
Also, a separate problem:

Is there any reason that Blitz3D wouldn't be able to load a 396-frame image made in MS Paint with a total area of 12127500 square pixels? I've checked and double-checked all of my directories, sizes, frame numbers, everything, and it says the image value is 0 after I load it.

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#3]
First question:
You are probably saving your images in a 'lossy' format (.jpg for example). Use a 'lossless' file format (.png for example) and the dots will go away.
Also note that a black pixel such as (1,0,0) or (3,3,3) is not masked out of an image if the mask color is set to 'true' black (0,0,0).

Second question:
Who cares. Break the image up into smaller images (5,10, etc.) and then load them individually. It's better memory management anyways.

Buggy(Posted 2006) [#4]
Thanks. I'm assuming that .bmp is a lossy format then?

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#5]
No .bmp is a lossless format. .bmp format is an exact representation of the image with no compression (thus tha large file sizes).

.png is s better alternative compressed representaion of the image but without any loss of data.

.jpg (in certain circumstances, such as photos) is an even better compression format but some image clarity is lost and artifacts in the image can appear.

If you are having trouble with .bmp files, then perhaps your problem is the second suggestion I had (similar pixels not matching the mask color)...

Buggy(Posted 2006) [#6]
No... I've checked in the images and the pixels aren't there.

Even where I made a program to rotate the ships I have this problem. The nonrotated ships had a masked red background. I rotated the ship, and gave it a black background without a trace of red in it. If anything, black pixels should be showing up, right? Wrong. I don't know how, but somehow red pixels are still showing up in an image where black is the masked background and there's no trace of red anywhere.

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#7]
Maybe you'll have to post one of the images. You most likely may be experiencing problems when rotating your images. I believe the TFormFilter command helps in this area.

TFormFilter enable
Parameters
enable = 0 to turn off filtering; 1 to turn it on

Description
This command will enable or disable bi-linear filtering on images that are convoluted (altered) by commands like TFormImage and RotateImage.

This filtering allows the convoluted graphics to have smoother, more aliased edges. This also makes the operations slower. The bi-linear filtering can also create non-transparent edges what will mess with your transparency. Experiment for the best results.

Buggy(Posted 2006) [#8]
How do I post the images?

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#9]
What are the forum codes?

Buggy(Posted 2006) [#10]
But my images aren't on a website... or does that not matter?

Buggy(Posted 2006) [#11]

keyboard(Posted 2006) [#12]
maybe go to http://www.imagevenue.com and host it there, takes about 10 seconds and its free...