Is Blitz Basic capable of this?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/Is Blitz Basic capable of this?

DCI(Posted 2005) [#1]
Im just learning blitz basic, tell me.. is the language capable of this?

Its a strategy/empire building game. Build units , buildings, resources . turn based unit combat. interstellar travel to colonize different planets. server software should be capable of atleast 100 people logged on at once.
the client end of the software, to connect over the net, download any patches it may need, and or content updates <compressed audio storyline>

as you could imagine the database will be nothing short of HUGE. a database containing each unit's configuration, each zone's buildings and resources present. a database containing all the resources posessed by an empire <minerals, money, weapons, pilots, etc> can blitz handle 1000's of databases of that size? that, and can it handle that many users at once? i dont know much about blitz's networking support, i havent gotten that far in the book yet. lemme know! :)

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#2]
So, what's the problem?

Sounds to me, you should be more worried about the amount of memory your users will be required to play, not whether or not Blitz can handle it (which it can).

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#3]
Actually, it's not something I've looked into in Blutz, but can Blitz access industry standard databases like Oracle or Access with SQL? Maybe if it can't natively, someone has produced a dll or something?

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#4]
I believe the legendary Kanati has a database userlib for Blitz Plus floating around somewhere ;c)

And yes, B+ can handle this easily.