SetPanelImage workaround?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/SetPanelImage workaround?

Tsunami(Posted 2005) [#1]
I was suprised to find that the SetImagePanel function only accepts a string referring to the image file on the hard drive. Are there any plans in future updates to allow loaded image handles to be used?

Are there any workarounds for this at present? A canvas isn't appropriate for what I want to do. The problem is, each time I call the SetPanelImage command the image is loaded into memory. Even if that same image had been loaded before. And it doesn't unload the previous one first, its very messy! Is there a way to remove the replaced panel image from memory after loading a new one?

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#2]
Yes, it's bad isn't it?

And afaik, there's zippo we can do.. GUI'wise I rarely/never load images, I generate them with a texgen-function.. so indeed I also want to send an image-handle. Loading images directly from disk into a gadget is always bad.. bad image-management..

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#3]
Last I heard it does unload the previous image.

Tsunami(Posted 2005) [#4]
It doesn't seem to be unloading from memory. I just wrote a quick program that contains a window, a panel, and a timer. Every second it changes the panel image to a different 4kb .PNG image. And every second, the memory usage according to Task Manager shows a 4kb increase, but never a decrease.

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#5]
And when you quit that testprogram? All still there in mem? Or all images flushed at once?

Tsunami(Posted 2005) [#6]
They seem to all be flushed at once, when you exit the program.