Need to turn String to Number

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/Need to turn String to Number

Zooker(Posted 2005) [#1]
Am re writing a check register program. I need to be able to turn strings to numbers because all my inputs are strings. Int function in the manual shows it converts a float value to an integer. How can I change a string to an integer?

Tiger(Posted 2005) [#2]
Like this, I think:

A$="123"
C%=A$

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#3]
I put a stupid-proof string2float converter in the code archives some days ago..

It accepts crap like :"- - .-.3.- 9-.46.3" and creates a nice float out of it.. in this case: -3946.3

Yan(Posted 2005) [#4]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=49799&hl=val

??

Zooker(Posted 2005) [#5]
Tiger-will try your suggestion(Maybe it works only on Comodore computers?
CS_TBL-Need String to Integer not string to float!
TwoEyedPete What was your point?

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#6]
You can covert a float to an int anyway by using Int(Thefloat#).
TwoEyedPete appears to have answered your question already (before) in his link.
Tiger is right too of course. You can only do that assignment because it is a BASIC language otherwise you would have to convert or typecast it. For example trying that (A% = B$) in C would not work, you would need to program it or use a library function. In Delpi you use StrToInt, BUT if raises an exception if the string is not a valid number. Blitz just sets the int to 0.

try this in blitzPLus
f# = 0.55
a% = Int(f#)
Notify (a)

b$ = "51"
a% = b$
Notify (a)

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#7]
zook: yeah I know.. I just mentioned it.. in case you ever need a string to float function: it's CatWalksOnTheKeyboard-Proof!

Zooker(Posted 2005) [#8]
TwoEyedPete- My apologies. I never noticed the Link.Hmmm learn somethin everyday. Thanks to all you people. Sorry to take this much of your time up.! ! !