Blitz basic or blitz plus?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/Blitz basic or blitz plus?

JMS45GB(Posted 2005) [#1]
I just got back online this month and the country two months ago I been using blitz basic for ages now whats the dif with blitz plus?

I realy cant see any but im not good so is it worth upgrading if so I will...........

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#2]
Blitzplus:
* event-based (if you want)
* windows GUI

events: instead of polling (checking user input and updating always), you can update only when something happens (event)

windows GUI: if you ever need to make editors, using a GUI is highly recommended. Buttons, windows, menus, tabbers, canvases for your own drawing, scrollbars etc. etc.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#3]
Blitz Plus has extra functionality for doing GUIs - and is a bit more system friendly by not hogging 100% cpu time if not needed. If you dont need GUI, may as well stick with what you have - or take a look at the command set of Blitz Max and see if that appeals.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#4]
There is also better 2D rendering support, which appears to be often overlooked (but it's why I bought it:) ... BlitzBasic is DirectX7 - BlitzPlus is DirectX1. Which means it runs on any version of Windows ever. Including NT4. It also supports software and OpengL rendering, although both features never came out of 'beta' status - most people see speed increases using OpenGL and software rendering is perfect for GUI apps. Also you have better and faster control over your images.

If you are aiming your games at the low end shareware market, stick with BlitzBasic. If you are aiming your games at the 'it will play on anything' shareware market (+ soccer mums) or need simplistic GUI control for game editors, get BlitzPlus.

If you want whizzy 2D-in-3D and a superior open ended, modular language (albeit slightly higher spec), get BlitzMax.

Zieg Shiryu(Posted 2005) [#5]
Hi everybody!

I'm new in this forum and the comuunity of Blitz Basic. I have a little question and maybe to noob but I would appreciate if somebody helps me.

As said before, Blitz Basic is aimed to games and Blitz Plus for 2D games and Blitz3D for 2D/3D Games. My questions is:

Can Blitz3D do all the game programming that Blitz Plus can do? (Forget about the GUI capabilities of Blitz Plus).

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#6]
As far as I know: yes

If you don't care for the GUI then there's still the choice of having events or polling, B3d is always polling, and in B+ you have the choice of polling or events. But for non-GUI stuff it's only the timer-event that's notable, iirc.

If you only want to make games, then you can perfectly live with B3d.
(just don't underestimate the power of a good editor for your game, and they're soooooo easy to do in B+)

Zieg Shiryu(Posted 2005) [#7]
Thanks CS_TBL

By the way, is there any editor for 2D games (maps, sprites, etc. or 3D games (modeler, animator, etc.) created in Blitz+?

Is there any recommended editor for 2D Games?

P.D. Thanks for your time and support. Long live to Blitz :)

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#8]
Dunno, guess so.. I've a habit of recreating editors as I need them.. they're not so very difficult to make.

It's possible to make an editor in 2d as well, but you might be wanting more GUI stuff than you have. There are free GUIs for 2d as well, but well, dunno... not my taste orso.. might also be related to thee fact that I'm bad in reading sources from others, and my general coding style is too modular/generic to be mixed-up with code which is NOT modular/generic.

I've seen a number of 2d map editors ppl keep recommending here. I'm not really that fond of them.. it's personal ofcourse.. I keep making my own editors, which I wouldn't need to if I really liked those public editors..