Brand New Programmer Here

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/Brand New Programmer Here

spoolboyy(Posted 2005) [#1]
any advice for someone just getting in to simple 2D programming?

-adam

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#2]
Check out the Blitz Plus help files in the editor, and check all the 2D commands to give you an idea of what it can do and for examples. Then get creative!

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#3]
How about looking at some Tetris code...

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#4]
spoolboyy: being new here is ok, but in order to give you some advice we also need to know your status :) Are you an excellent coder in another language already? Do you know 'basic' in general? etc. Or are you a beginner, in all aspects?

If you have code-experience already, then browsing through the B+ help is a matter of just 2 evenings.. B+ is *that* easy..

Nicstt(Posted 2005) [#5]
experiment:p

check out the examples as suggested, try changing stuff see what happens if you are very new. Although as stated already let us know your experience.

spoolboyy(Posted 2005) [#6]
oh im pretty new. BASIC is the only language i have EVER programmed in and that was several years ago. I was able to come up with some very simple texting programs and so forth, but never got into graphics, so my skill level is practically zero.

i've got some working source code from a few games (and will find some for tetris) that i have been tinkering with and a beginner's game programming book that's based around BlitzPlus.

More than anything i just wanted to introduce myself and see how helpful you guys were, thanks for the numerous responses! i'll try to study as hard as i can on my own so i dont lean on the forum too much.

-adam

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#7]
Simplest approach: start with a minimum source.. and expand by testing each new command individually. Don't just pick any big example file to study, if it's all alien to you. Just read the help, there's plenty o' simple examples in there..

Quick n00b lesson in a nutshell:

Images, GUI gadgets, banks, streams etc. are all a _handle_. A handle is represented by a number, the size of an int (4 bytes).

Once you created a handle of something you use that handle for all operations on that handle.

window=CreateWindow("title",0,0,640,480)

now 'window' is a handle.. and it's in reality just a number..

Notify window

will show something like 21635245 orso, that's the number represented by the handle. Each handle (so, each 'thing': image, GUI object, bank etc.) has its own number.

Once you got this in your head, the rest of B+ is cake :)

Bremer(Posted 2005) [#8]
You can try and have a look at the tutorials on my website, they are pretty easy to follow, and there is a good range of different things that could be useful. Link is in the signature.

spoolboyy(Posted 2005) [#9]
thanks guys.

you're definitely a helpful bunch.

as far as biting off more than i can chew, im biting off as little as i possibley can at a moment. ive started with the basics like

Print "Hey Dude."

and im moving up from there. im currently working on Arrays and Types.

-adam