BlitzPlus creations

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/BlitzPlus creations

Réno(Posted 2005) [#1]
I want to buy BlitzPlus. I just want to know what kind of software we can make with it ( expect full sceen games ) ? My first goal is to make a map editor and a music tracker for my next games. What about the OpenGL ?

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#2]
Map-editors are a cookie in B+.
Trackers: I'm working on one (using someone's audio-engine via DLL's, so I only send pattern-data etc.). Natively it's tricky to do with B+, you definitely want the GetASyncKeyState function from some DLL before seriously considering making a tracker.

Basically there's not that many widgets available in native B+, it's however relativily easy to make your own ones.

I esp. recommend B+ for anything app'ish, and you'll love the event-system!

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#3]
I would ignore OpenGL in B+ unless you just want to learn and tinker.

Checkout Fontext (link in my sig) which was made in B+.

Wiebo(Posted 2005) [#4]
I made a form editor in Blitz+. Check it out at the link below.

Réno(Posted 2005) [#5]
For the tracker, I think I'll just export sting variables datas ( note, effect pan/vol, etc ) and read them in the game using 16/24 chanels playsound.

But for the GUI, exept for the windows of samples/instruments, can we do something like "Modplug tracker" ? Can we make a text editor like "World" ? What Plus can't do ?

Can Blitz plus users show screenshots of their apps ? I am just curious of the power of Plus, because we don't see a lot of Plus creations here ;)

Thanks !

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#6]
http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=40637

And below a small stupid test-app. Point of interest are the image-buttons, the remote help-display and the gfx themself.
The imagebuttons are my own gadgets I use for more than a year already... they work like a charm.
The remote help was something I made a month ago, it's 100% self-contained, you don't need any global vars or whatever.. just use a hlp=CreateHelpviewer(32,32,640,64) command orso, and after this: use 'hlp' in combination with a SendHelp hlp,txt command. Where txt is not a string, but a bank with formatted text (with indenting etc.) which was generated from a script in a string :)

The help-font was designed in a small font editor I made, which outputs a script again :) So, to have this font in my apps is simply a matter of having a long string and an unpacker.. strings rule more than data-lines imho.

The gfx for the buttons (and the gfx for the help-viewer-border) were also created from a texgen-script. Once might say that I did all these 3 scripts because B+ can't incbin, but on the other hand: I'm sure I can create buttons faster with a script than in photoshop.

And as my sig says: all with banks!

http://quor-toth.balpol.tudelft.nl/~mvs/CS_TBL__newbutton_testapp.rar

To make things more exciting: the app is fairly small.. and clean, see the source below .. which is everything! (the rest is tucked away in generic/blackbox include-files)
Don't try this at home .. as most commands are completely alien without include-files, not to mention the DML-scripts :)

Include"__BW__.bb"
Include"__strings__.bb"
Include"__DML3__.bb"

Global imgButton
setupDML3()

app=CreateApp("test",256,256)

hlp=CreateHelpmanager()

UB=CreateUB(4,4,3,3,32,32,app,hlp)

AddUB(0,1,imgButton,"1",1,UB,TG("#32@1~Help 1  o_O"))
AddUB(1,0,imgButton,"2",0,UB,TG("#32@1~Help 2  O_o@blabla1@blabla2@blabla3@blabla4"))
AddUB(2,1,imgButton,"3",0,UB,TG("#32@1~Help 3  o_o"))
AddUB(1,2,imgButton,"4",0,UB,TG("#32@1~Help 4  O_O"))

helpdisplay=CreateHelpdisplay(32,32,256,50)

Repeat
	WaitEvent()
	If EventID()=$803 quit=True
	Delay 4
	ev$=UBevents(UB)
	HelpdisplayEvents(helpdisplay)

If HelpmanagerCurrent(hlp) ; new help?
		SetHelpdisplayHelp(helpdisplay,HelpmanagerCurrent(hlp))		
	EndIf
Until quit
FreeHelpdisplay(helpdisplay)
FreeBank hlp
End

Function setupDML3()
	i0=DML3("v32,32i<v176,168,160,t-0#180t9-1#160t9-1#140t9x13y8v0,0,0>5v5>6rgdhleuf")
	imglist=CreateBank()
	ImageBankAdd(imglist,i0)
	imgButton=DML3("i0,4,1i1v$@6#32$#64$#96$xyx31y31v32>2v288jm9v320jm9v352jm9",imglist)
	FreeImage i0
	FreeBank imglist
End Function

Réno(Posted 2005) [#7]
Very interesting... I see we can make a drawing tool with a map editor, that's great !

for the tracker, have you got the formula to pitch a song to a note ( imagine 22050hz is C5 default ) ?

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#8]
I don't quite get the question..

"pitch a song to a note" .. you mean a global transpose?
Or do you mean: notenumber -> hz-freq ?

Réno(Posted 2005) [#9]
Yes, it's a transpose ;)

EX : I load a 22050hz sample. "C5" plays it normaly. But have you got the formula ( maths ) to play ( transpose / pitch ) it in "C4", "F6", etc... ?

( sorry for my english ).

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#10]
one sample? or the whole tune?

I bet it's for one sample, I should have the formula somewhere.. need to dig for it.. patience=gold ^^;

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#11]
freq#=22050
transpose=0 ; 0=C5, 12=C6, 24=C7, 1=C#5, -12=C4, -1=B4   etc.

newfreq#=freq#*(2^(transpose/12.0))

Notify newfreq#

End

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#12]
Ahh, i remember usnig that with my DOS FM Synthesizer/Sequencer i made in (seriously this time...) Qbasic 1.1. I never figured out if that formula was wrong, or if my card went out of pitch at higher pithes.

..Oh wait, not quite the same formula. Mine was the pitch>pitch change formula for every key :/

Course, I should have this formula in my lil synth in my sig :)

Réno(Posted 2005) [#13]
THANKS a lot CS_TBL !!!

skn3(Posted 2005) [#14]
http://pes4online.acsv.net made with b+

Snarty(Posted 2005) [#15]
ProPixel also made with B+ (like no one knows that)

Réno(Posted 2005) [#16]
Well, I am entirely convinced... I will buy B+ ;)

Blitz Amateur(Posted 2005) [#17]
Out of boredom, i've decided to post a pic of one of my BPlus apps

you can download this at http://www.geocities.com/blitzamateur/TilemapEditorv02.zip if you are interested

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#18]
I would ignore OpenGL in B+ unless you just want to learn and tinker.

Or if you want to give people the option of running your game MUCH faster on most modern gfx cards ;]

Blitz Amateur, I know those games all look very similar ;] but are you recreating a map out of Speris Legacy? ;]

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#19]
In case you need more examples:
Download my Cardwar game + Deck editor.