FrontBuffer problems

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/FrontBuffer problems

Zom(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hello, I just got BlitzPlus and have been messing with its graphics capabilities.

I am already well-versed in techniques for rendering graphics in video games, including double buffering (both page copy and page flipping techniques) and simply writing to the screen itself.

Oddly, When I run the following code (from BlitzPlus's own examples), I see nothing on the screen until I quit the program OR I add the command "Flip"

;*************
; FrontBuffer()/Rect Example

; Engage graphics mode
Graphics 640,480,16

; Set the drawing buffer to front - instant drawing ops!
SetBuffer FrontBuffer()

; Repeat this until user presses ESC
While Not KeyHit(1)
; Set a random color
Color Rnd(255),Rnd(255),Rnd(255)
; Draw a rectangle at a random location, with a random width and height
; plus randomly choose if the rectangle is solid or just an outline
Rect Rnd(640),Rnd(480),Rnd(50),Rnd(50),Rnd(0,1)
; Blitz is so dang fast, we need a delay so you can watch it draw!
Delay 10
Wend

;****************
Does this make any sense? If we're writing to the front buffer, Flip shouldn't be neccessary. Is it perhaps because I have a flat screen monitor?

Whats even stranger is that if I explicitly run this code in windowed mode, I still see nothing in the screen area until I quit the program.

Programs which use all-out double buffering work fine; I'm just curious as to why drawing directly to the front buffer doesn't seem to work on my machine.

Zom(Posted 2005) [#2]
Dear me, I just found my answer in the online "manual." Why hasn't the manual in the BlitzPlus install been updated? oh well. thanks anyway. I'll probably be posting here in the near future.

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2005) [#3]
I guess you haven't downloaded the updated docs from the BlitzPlus updates forum?