blitzplus || blitz3d for 2d games?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/blitzplus || blitz3d for 2d games?

GC-Martijn(Posted 2005) [#1]
H! people,

I have blitz3D ,but now I want to make a good/fast tcp 2D game voor windows users.

So my question is what is better/faster?

Make it in blitz3d
- don't support some nice windows© functions
- is fast
- don't cost me some extra money

Or

Make it in BlitzPlus
- support some windows© functions
- have a gui
- is fast for 2d Games like blitz3D ?
------------------------------------------------------

I think I know the answer : make it in blitzPlus :)

Lattyware(Posted 2005) [#2]
Blitz3D I believe can take hardware acceloration, and you could make it '2D in 3D' for really good effects...

B+ is great, I love it. But it is more suted to making Apps... It's your choice, To me, The game is more important than the menus, so go for B3D.

Correct Me If I'm wrong.

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#3]
Actually B+ has "2D in 3D'. The OpenGL driver of B+ used 3D methods to "emulate" 2D and does a better job than B3D. The core language of B+ is faster than B3D, not to mention the 2D routines are faster in B+ and you have the added bonus of B+ being compatible with virtually any system setup, unlike B3D.

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2005) [#4]
I myself chose BlitzPlus because the basic 2D stuff is faster in BlitzPlus, because it does not require DirectX7 and because it has some additional functionality like the GUI stuff.

I might have chosen Blitz3D if I had wanted real-time rotation, lightning or other such 3D effects.

If you already have Blitz3D, why not give it a try and see if it's good enough for you project?

GC-Martijn(Posted 2005) [#5]
Thanks for the info,
I know now that BlitzPlus is good for my project.
Fast 2D and very stable.

@ SR-Games
Do people need to install OpenGL before running the game ? (or better: when do people need to install OpenGL before running my game then)

But like you said arctic fox I make the most with blitz3D till I need blitzPlus.

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#6]
Don't buy B+ for the GUI. It doesn't work with a full-screen game anyways. The only advantage I see to B+ is not needing DX7. But since MOST people would have DX7 already or wouldn't mind upgrading to it, I would stick with B3D. And as Lattyware mentioned, if you wanted to get really crazy, you could do '2D in 3D'

flying willy(Posted 2005) [#7]
I don't like B+. You can do the windows stuff in Blitz3D via userlibs as well imho.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#8]
@GCMartijn - I have a copy of B+ for sale if ur interested. One advantage is fast backbuffer blitting if you want to move a lot of individuals pixels around on screen. BMax is also worth considering.

sswift(Posted 2005) [#9]
If you don't need/want any 3D, and you're making an app, Blitzplus will be faster, even if you don't use the built in GUI.

If you're making a 2D game, Blitzplus will be faster.

Blitzplus renders 2D graphics much faster than Blitz3D. And it has lots of GUI gadgets, it's just that some people like me are picky and want specific ones to make our apps look better.

It really depends on how complex of an app you want. But any 2D user made GUI would run faster in Blitzplus.

If you want a GUI in a fullscreen app, even there... If the GUI is 2D, then Blitzplus would be your choice. You'll have to buy a userlib to do it, but the 2D is still faster than Blitz3D, even in fullscreen.

Lastly, there's 3D. You could do 3D in Blitzplus with an openGL extension, but I wouldn't reccomend that. Blitz3D has lots of really useful helper functions like TFormPoint and there's lots of code users have made for it already.

And yes, you can do a 2D game in 3D, and you can do a 2D gui in 3D, but is that what you want to do? If you don't need it why do it?

Oh and here's another reason to use B+ for 2D games. If you want the game to run in a window, it's not possible to capture the user clicking the X to close the game, and there's no known way to allow the usrer to maximize the window with a black border around the play area in Blitz3D.

At leasty as far as I was able to find.

Anyway you'd want to capture that X if you have a shareware game so the user can't bypass the nag screen.

cryptadone(Posted 2014) [#10]
blitz plus forever...