What should I free?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/What should I free?

Grey Alien(Posted 2004) [#1]
OK, I know that if I make many objects in a game that I plan to resuse later in the game, I should free the object and any associated sounds and images etc. But what do I need to free when the program exits? e.g. music, sounds, title screens etc.

I know I could free everything but the help for FreeSound says "Note: You don't have to manually free these resources when your program terminates - Blitz does this automatically." Fine, but what about FreeImage, FreeFont and FreeTimer, do I need to bother with these or are they automatic? Does anyone know?

Also I am playing some in game music (a mod) with
handle% = PlayMusic("whatever", 1) but you cannot free the handle later with FreeSound handle% , it errors with Invalid Source Handle. Is this OK?

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#2]
what about FreeImage, FreeFont and FreeTimer, do I need to bother with these or are they automatic?
Blitz automatically cleans everything up at program end. You really only need to be worried about performance issues that might be improved through manually freeing resources during runtime. If it makes no difference, then don't worry about it.

Also I am playing some in game music (a mod) with
handle% = PlayMusic("whatever", 1) but you cannot free the handle later with FreeSound handle% , it errors with Invalid Source Handle. Is this OK?
Probably because you are trying to free a sound with a MUSIC handle.

D2006(Posted 2004) [#3]
PlayMusic doesn't load the mod file into ram. It just streams the music directly form disk. So there is nothing to free.

Grey Alien(Posted 2004) [#4]
Great advice guys, thanks loads and Happy New Year!