How to make BlitzPlus work with cyrillic?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/How to make BlitzPlus work with cyrillic?

StoneFaceEXE(Posted 2014) [#1]
In gadgets?
I tried loading different fonts with SetGadgetFont() but no luck so far.

Matty(Posted 2014) [#2]
From memory symbol fonts don't work with blitz...I could be wrong hopefully someone can clear that up...

StoneFaceEXE(Posted 2014) [#3]
I hope so as well, cause I really need that cyrillic thing. Maybe there is NOT BLITZ way, like some sort of an exe patch or something

Yasha(Posted 2014) [#4]
Blitz is very much ASCII-only. Any results you get that do show non-Roman letters are going to be a platform-specific hack or bug. You need to do something else for support -

If you need it right now and don't mind coughing up for a commercial library, Mikhail's FastText library works with Cyrillic. It's designed for B3D; I assume it works with BlitzPlus too, although I couldn't guarantee it.

FastText is (I think) built on GDI+. You might also be able to get someone who knows that library to implement just the Text function for you. It's probably not that hard if you only need it to work like the Blitz one and not supply the extra FastLibs features.

Otherwise, your easiest option for Cyrillic is to use a bitmap font system instead of the builtin Text command, and map individual Cyrillic letters to ASCII codes in a hidden translation layer. Obviously this will only work for scripts like Cyrillic and Greek than have a roughly similar number of letters to Roman so that each symbol can map 1:1; you can't use this method if you also need Chinese.