How is B+ different from B3d? And a level question

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/How is B+ different from B3d? And a level question

Dale Nation(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hello Blitz Community!

I just got the full version of BlitzPlus for free, but I've been using the Blitz3D demo for a long time. I know how everything works in Blitz3D, but what exactly makes BlitzPlus special?

What I mean is, I know I lose the 3D commands, but what commands are different and helpful in programming 2D games in BlitzPlus? I've made both 3D and 2D games in B3D, and currently have a project that I think I should port over to BlitzPlus.

Also, in my project, each level is randomly generated and produces a straight horizontal line of cubes. One of them happens to be a ramp upwards. In Blitz3D, I would just use ImagesCollide() to stop the player from falling down, but it still gives him the ability to move left and right through the ramp. How would I make it so he moves upwards when he reaches a ramp?

Thanks,

Dale

Matty(Posted 2013) [#2]
Blitzplus has the ability to create gui apps.

The 2d functionality is for the most part identical...you have to go pretty far with it to find the differences which are pretty minor for the most part.

Blitzplus was also written when Windows 95 and Windows NT were still around and is designed with DirectX 1 compatibility so that it would work on the old Windows NT that used to support only up to DirectX 3...but things have changed a lot since then and neither of those OSes is in use anymore.

Regarding your second question -

A lot of it depends on your implementation - there are so many different ways. It is difficult to know what the best way to suggest is without knowing how you have structured your game.

Yasha(Posted 2013) [#3]
Not a big deal if you already have B3D, but I feel compelled to point out that BlitzPlus can actually do lightweight 3D pretty well. Important if you want high-performance 2D graphics, too.