Update pub.GLEW, pub.OpenGL updated for GLEW 1.5.1

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Module Tweaks/Update pub.GLEW, pub.OpenGL updated for GLEW 1.5.1

N(Posted 2009) [#1]
Can grab the new modules here: http://www.spifftastic.net/mod/gl3-mods.zip

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#2]
Thanks. :D

N(Posted 2009) [#3]
I'm afraid my host's host (Mako Solutions) was hacked, and presently all backups of the host were lost. I've restored my site to a previous backup, but I'm afraid it's about 5 months old (thankfully, my site mostly consists of funny pictures, so it's not much of a loss) - as a result of the downtime and lack of backups more recent than 3 days ago, the glew updates were unavailable for a short amount of time (roughly a day). They're now available again, however, so if you were looking to get them and they weren't there, try again.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#4]
Interesting.

Out of curiosity: what are the benefits/drawbacks of using this newer version?

does it raise the bar as far as minimum system requirements are concerned, or do those remain the same?

N(Posted 2009) [#5]
Probably remains the same. It's really almost entirely dependent on drivers, this just provides the API. If you want to use GL3 stuff, however, it should be noted that immedate-mode/fixed-function APIs are deprecated, and you're expected to use the programmable pipeline from now on. That means shaders are the norm, and GLMax2D is using a deprecated API. This is already the case for anyone using drivers with GL3 support, and not upgrading won't make it any less deprecated.

Whenever OpenGL 3.1 support is rolled out, then you might expect GLMax2D to not build without the use of the legacy extension(s), but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Benefits-wise, it's the newer, pretty lackluster OpenGL specification (if you followed OpenGL 3.0 development over the years, you'll understand this - much was promised, and then Khronos shut up for a while and just decided to mark some stuff deprecated, pretty much). Most drivers for real graphics chipsets support it, as far as I know, so I doubt there's much issue. Onboard chipsets, Intel, etc. - I don't know, but those chipsets have the worst drivers I've ever seen (next to ATI's). At any rate, it's a starting point for abandoning the fixed-function pipeline and immediate-mode rendering, so it's at least an improvement. You just won't like it if you're aiming to support the random guy running a P2 or a netbook.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#6]
my host's host (Mako Solutions) was hacked

Shame, sorry to hear it.

N(Posted 2009) [#7]
Hm, there's a missing GL_TRUE constant in there, for some reason. Didn't pick it up, but anyhow, you should be able to add that on your own if you're building it yourself in the first place.

Can probably guess what its value is...

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#8]
Hi Nilium

Sorry if I report a bad news but I try your Glew updates and my game suddenly drop half of his speed on my old 'test' machine (800mhz, 1Go Ram, radeon 9200).
I didn't notice it at first glance since I recompile many mods with it and get error with the debug version of CEGUI Brucey mod.
I then drop the idea of using this update but only rebuild my PUB folder with the original max glew and opengl and forgot the BRL one (... with Max2d driver I'm currently using in my project).

On my dev. machine I didn't notice any differences since I have enough power, but while testing new features on my slower 'test' machine every thing was laggy and I first think it was because of my new caustic water effect...

But today I recompile the missing BRL folder and PUB another time and the lag disappear !

So I'm afraid of 2 things now :
1) I will never be able to use Opengl 2.0 features ^^
2) I wonder if Mark Sibly will upgrade to this new glew, notice any slowdown or not and decide to include it inside the next BlitzMax release ?
If it's the case I may stop upgrading until further notice.

Do you have an idea about the origin of these slowdowns ?
Could a Deprecated code be slower ?

N(Posted 2009) [#9]
Do you have an idea about the origin of these slowdowns ?
You probably wrote bad or slow code, 'cause there's really zero reason for a different version of glew to cause a speed hit when all it does is provide an interface.

I first think it was because of my new caustic water effect...
That would probably be the bad or slow code if removing it gains a significant speed boost.

OpenGL 3.0 deprecates the fixed-function/immediate mode pipeline used by GLMax2D, so there's really no guarantee you're going to see a speed boost with those. If anything, you should just assume there'll be a speed decrease for using something you're not (cannot stress that point enough) supposed to be using anymore.

#1) You already had GL 2.0 (but only 2.0, not 2.1) support with the original module.
#2) How would I know? O_o

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#10]
1) Correct
2) yeah I know ^^
It was general self-question :p

hum, I did test my game with and without the special effect.
Exactly the same code with that module is slower but I maybe know why : I did not rebuild every modules like the CEGUI one (because it's a huge one).
That's probably why CEGUI throwing errors while in debug mode and maybe it was slowdown because all un-rebuilded modules was using the old interface.

Thanks for the help.

Space_guy(Posted 2009) [#11]
The file is no longer there to download. How come?

Can I get it somewhere else?
Thanks

N(Posted 2009) [#12]
Site went down again, don't feel like uploading it again. Just update the code and run glew2bmx.

Chroma(Posted 2010) [#13]
Bah...followed a link to this to try a spinning cube demo and it's one of Noel's "I can't be bothered to...." again...(Lotus comes to mind).

So does anyone know what changes were made ?

N(Posted 2010) [#14]
(Lotus comes to mind)
Lotus is public domain and in the code archives. Not sure what you're on about. As for what changes were made, I refer you to the post immediately before your own:
Just update the code and run glew2bmx.
It's pretty simple.