To any Subversion experts...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Module Tweaks/To any Subversion experts...

Matthew Smith(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi,

I'm currently adding subversion access to Project Studio and want to identify the best way to determine when I need to check-out vs. just updating.

I thought checking via info may help, but are not quite sure are some initial testing. Anyone know what the best method might be??

Floyd(Posted 2008) [#2]
My non-expert approach has been to try update. If that works heave a sigh of relief.

If it results in a broken configuration then start over with a full check out. I have on occasion tried to tinker my way to a working system after a bad update, but without much success.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#3]
when do you need to checkout: when you have not done it yet.
if .svn folder is there, checkout will fail, so you can just call svn update

but on windows, nobody will use your system anyway. No way that it even stands a breath long against Tortoise + WinMerge, and without a powerfull compare - dif - merge capability, an SVN integration is worthless as it will guarantee collisions that can't be resolved by beginners. (see the "bug board" entry that was moved on the compile error with <<<<<< mine .... ===== ..... <<<<<<<<<< r33 )

Matthew Smith(Posted 2008) [#4]
Thanks guys.

Might just provide a way to set a couple of scripts that people can run rather than something more substanial then.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#5]
Matt, check the SVN code in the official IDE & CE IDE. I basically just shell out to SVN or CVS for checkout / update / commit actions, and this is probably all that's really needed in an IDE IMHO. Oh, and a compare function, but then you probably need to be able to point to another separate tool like WinMerge for that...

Matthew Smith(Posted 2008) [#6]
Mark,

Thanks I'll take a look.