Question about building modules.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Module Tweaks/Question about building modules.

JoJo(Posted 2008) [#1]
I'm getting this error:

ERRORbrl.appstub was not built
ar: unable to rename 'C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/appstub.mod/appstub.debug.win32.x86.a' reason: File exists
Build Error: Failed to create archive C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/appstub.mod/appstub.debug.win32.x86.a

First I updated blitzMax to v1.28.

Then I installed MinGW that everyone recommended. MinGW 5.1.3 and the folder was 'C:\MinGW\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.5'.

Then I set all the environmental variables that was recommended;

marksibly post:
Vista users: Once installed, you will need to copy the contents of the MinGW\libexec\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2 directory into MinGW\bin.

Finally, make sure to add C:\MinGW\bin (or equivalent) to your system PATH environment variable. This can be done on most versions of windows by right-clicking 'my computer' and selecting properties/advanced/environment variables.

and

Amon post:
An addition to Vista users. You must also create a new Variable called "MinGW" and set it to c:\MinGW.

After I did that I was able to build modules.

[edit] Under User Variables Click New and name it MinGW. Set its variable to wherever you installed MinGW.

and

SebHoll post:
GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=C:\MinGW
MinGW=C:\MinGW
Path=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\BlitzMax\bin;C:\MinGW\bin

My specs:

BlitzMax v1.28
Vista Premium
MInGW installed with recommended environmental variables set:

USER VARIABLES
Variable Name: GCC_EXEC_PREFIX
Variable Value: C:\MinGW

Variable Value: MinGW
Variable Value: C:\MinGW

SYSTEM VARIABLES
Variable Name: Path
Variable Value: %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem;C:\MinGW\bin;C:\MinGW\lib\gcc-lib\mingw32\3.4.5

Then I read some more and all the examples show people having MinGW installed with the 'MinGW\libexec\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2' directory and they say everything is working fine.

And then as I look at mine and I see the 3.4.5 directory. Is this the problem? Do I suppose to have a previous version of MinGW installed that shows the 3.4.2 as the directory?

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#2]
Looks like you don't have permissions to overwrite the files in that folder.

Isn't there something in VISTA you need to change to let you do that?

JoJo(Posted 2008) [#3]
Doh!
Thanks! That did it.