About MinGW Vista....

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Module Tweaks/About MinGW Vista....

Amon(Posted 2007) [#1]
Shaun Sullivan came up with a fix so that you would be able to build modules with BlitzMax running on Windows Vista.

Shaun Sullivan wrote:

Hi guys after poking around I found the fix. Vista does some more strict parameter checking and needs some help with finding stuff.

Here is what I did to fix:

1. Install MinGW to c:\MinGW
2. Set Mingw env variable=c:\MinGw
3. Add c:\MinGW\Bin to path

(from here on is the Vista-specific fixes)

4. Add C:\MinGW\lib\gcc-lib\mingw32\3.2.3 to your path
5. Create an environment variable named GCC_EXEC_PREFIX and set it to c:\MinGW

That should do it. Note, I suggest you install MinGW to c:\MinGW since from what I have seen the GCC_EXEC_PREFIX fix may not work unless it refers to a directory off the root.

Hope this helps!

Shaun

I have tested this and works.

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#2]
Nice one. This should be integrated into the sticky at the top of this forum.

Amon(Posted 2007) [#3]
BUMP!!! :)

Can this be Stickied? :)

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#4]
Yes, let's have this stickied please. And thanks Amon, for posting this so that it's available when we need it.

hec(Posted 2007) [#5]
Could someone please update that for MinGW 3.4.2?
Because the trick doesn't work here, I still get: ---

Edit: forget it, I just read in the other thread that you shouldn't use a newer version of GCC.

Edit2: Still doesn't work!

Building Modules
Compiling:blitz_app.c
In file included from D:/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz.h:5,
                 from D:/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c:2:
D:/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/stdc.mod/stdc.h:5:19: ctype.h: No such file or directory
D:/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/stdc.mod/stdc.h:6:19: stdio.h: No such file or directory
D:/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/stdc.mod/stdc.h:7:20: string.h: No such file or directory
D:/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/stdc.mod/stdc.h:8:20: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
D:/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/stdc.mod/stdc.h:9:20: stdarg.h: No such file or directory
D:/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/stdc.mod/stdc.h:10:20: assert.h: No such file or directory
D:/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/stdc.mod/stdc.h:11:22: sys/stat.h: No such file or directory
D:/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/stdc.mod/stdc.h:12:18: time.h: No such file or directory
D:/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/stdc.mod/stdc.h:24:21: direct.h: No such file or directory
D:/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c: In function `bbWriteStdout':
D:/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c:20: `stdout' undeclared (first use in this function)
D:/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c:20: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
D:/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c:20: for each function it appears in.)
D:/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c: In function `bbWriteStderr':
D:/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c:27: `stderr' undeclared (first use in this function)
D:/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c: In function `bbReadStdin':
D:/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c:41: `stdin' undeclared (first use in this function)
D:/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c:82:21: windows.h: No such file or directory
Build Error: failed to compile D:/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c
Process complete

sebas76(Posted 2007) [#6]
Hello,

This trick doesn't work on my computer.
I have Vista Premuim.
I have tried with Mingw 3.2.3 and previous.
With Mingw 3.2.3 I have the following error on compiling c source :

Building test
Compiling:code.c
cc1: unrecognized option `-auxbase-strip'
cc1: output filename specified twice
Build Error: failed to compile F:/code.c
Process complete

Please help me !
On Window XP all works fine but not in Vista !

sebas76(Posted 2007) [#7]
I have found the solution alone !

First, you must have blitzmax 1.24 installed and MinGW 3.1.0.
Then you should add the following env vars to make GCC works fine :
C_INCLUDE_PATH to all include dir of mingw
CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH

Else GCC won't find include files...

Amon(Posted 2007) [#8]
Hi! I installed Vista again yesterday and tried to follow the steps in this thread. I could'nt get it to work without copying "cc1", "cc1plus" and "cc1obj" to the MinGW\bin folder.

You must use the MinGW version that BRL recommend.

sebas76(Posted 2007) [#9]
hi!

I think that I've also copied cc1,cc1+ in bin directory.
But the most important is the paths to set...
It is a bit confuse because MingW 3.1.0 contains the version 3.2.3 of gcc...
But now, all works fine for me on Vista !

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#10]
I've done it all, and it doesn't work with either the version Mark recommends or the newer version.

dmaz(Posted 2007) [#11]
worked great.

more info here http://aarongiles.com/?p=199 but follow the instructions in the first post including installing straight off the root. ie. C:\mingw

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#12]
I assure you I have installed straight off the root, and I followed every instruction to the letter, but it just comes back with "failed to compile blah.c"

Is the fact that I'm running Vista Ultimate an issue? Or the fact that I disabled User Account Control?

dmaz(Posted 2007) [#13]
I'm running ultimate 64. user account control, I doubt that because disabling that usually has the opposite effect. :)

goto a cmd line and print out your environment and paste it here.... the command is "set"

sebas76(Posted 2007) [#14]
Gabriel, don't forget to set the environment variable I gave
C_INCLUDE_PATH and CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH else it doesn't work.
i have Vista premuim and user account control disabled...

coffeedotbean(Posted 2007) [#15]
coconut

What is the value of the 2 env vars? I tried c:\mingw c:\minggw\bin\include etc none helped me getting Mingw working with Vista. neither 1.26+5.1.x or 1.24+3.1.x

Regreting getting Vista now, been 3 months and cannot compile my mods.. very annoying.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2007) [#16]
GOT IT WORKING!!

I had a big problem getting MinGW & Max talking on Vista, but heres how you do it.

The biggest tip to to keep the default install locations of Max and MinGW.

1. Download BMAx 1.18 and install in C:\program files\blitzmax (defualt location)
2. Download the 1.26 update and istall.
3.Run Max, sync mod & build docs, close MAX
4.Download MinGW Here
5. Run It and install 'MinGW base tools' and 'g++ compiler', install in C:\MinGW (default)
6.you will need to copy the contents of the MinGW\libexec\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2 directory into MinGW\bin
7. Add some new ENV VARS, right-clicking 'my computer' and selecting properties/advanced/environment variables.
8. Under USER add 'GCC_EXEC_PREFIX > C:\MinGW' and 'MinGW > C:\MinGW' to the end of your PATH VAR in SYSTEM add ';C:\MinGW\bin'
9. Run BlizMax

You should now be able to build your mods.

What I have found out is that if you install blitz in any other partition than C MinGW wont like it. does not have to be in program files but must be on C drive.

Big thankyou to Amon who helped too.

sebas76(Posted 2007) [#17]
OK,THANK COFFEEDOTBEAN !

It seems it works yet !

sebas76(Posted 2007) [#18]
I was too enthusiastic...
It has worked for bmax module but not for mine own :-(

In my module on Vista , I have this code :

Mod.c
#include <windows.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

But I get these errors :
Compiling: mod.c
F:/mod.c:1:21: windows.h: No such file or directory
F:/mod.c:2:20: stdlib.h: No such file or directory

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#19]
I'm using MinGW 3.1.5 and I just copied all the needed files from MinGW to my Blitzmax/bin path without setting variables on Vista Ultimate and it seems to work too.

Not sure if anyone else has tried this

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#20]
3.1.5 is totally outdated. 1.26+ uses MingW 5.1.X

Matt McFarland(Posted 2009) [#21]
Tried everything, this isn't working. I am using a much later version of blitzmax and MinGW though.