MaxIDE Community Edition v1.15

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Module Tweaks/MaxIDE Community Edition v1.15

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#1]
The latest version (1.15) of the Community Edition IDE for BlitzMax has been released. This update includes the following improvements over version 1.14:

+ Bookmarks
+ ToDo Lists
+ Auto-complete on Blitz commands
+ Auto-Tidy
+ Block comment / uncomment
+ Improved options
+ Improved help structure
+ Improved syntax highlighting
+ Continue button when in debug
+ Various code editing improvements
+ Numerous fixes

At present there are four file releases: Win32, OS X (PPC) and linux binaries (GTK and FLTK), and a source package. Get them here:

SF.net MaxIDE Homepage

Any volunteers to build a macos binary for Intel?

Could an admin please make this sticky and unsticky the old thread please?

kfprimm(Posted 2006) [#2]
sweet, thanks for putting so much time into this Mark.

Mystik(Posted 2006) [#3]
Just compiled a mac version:-

http://www.xmystik.co.uk/maxide-OSX.zip

Steve.

bradford6(Posted 2006) [#4]
been using it for a few hours. Excellent!

observations:

1. I like the comment/uncomment. it is cool. something I always wanted but did not even know that i wanted it :)

2. I like the way the modules are organized. makes sense.

3. autocomplete is kinda cool. Could you make the SpaceBar (as well as the arrow keys) cycle through the items? once you hit [ctrl-space] you are right there.

4. not sure what TO DO is.

5. Code tab is awesome. like it alot!

6. Auto Tidy is cool. took a few secs to get used to

7. syncmods with checkboxes for contributors...very nice!

great work guys

Russell(Posted 2006) [#5]
Has anyone seen PB's new editor? <dodges flying tomato>

It is something worth looking at, even if it is to copy it feature-by-feature ;) (And the Visual Designer that is also included is another plus).

Anyway, I'm glad I own both languages! :)

Russell

Fetze(Posted 2006) [#6]
There are two things I have to criticize:
1. Variablenames displayed in "code" are not just variablenames: If I put a comment behind a variable declaration, in the same line, the code tab keeps assuring me, there are variables such as "this variable is cool", "necessary", "genious and an example to show", "that the IDE splits my comment and adds it to the variable-window".
2. I need a feature to avoid certain functions, methods or variables to appear in the code-tab. It's because I use "Functions in Methods" and if it displays them seperately it makes no sense at all. I need to hide the sub-functions.

However, MaxIDE Community Edition is great work. Although I can't really figure out, how to use the TODO-Feature.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#7]
Thanks for the feedback! Point 1 sounds like a bug that needs fixing, and point 2, the code tree probably ought to put this function inside the method.

To use TODO, just add a comment in your code like this:

'TODO: I really need to start coding this!

And then take a look in the Todo tab. You can also use FIX or BUG or MARK (as in bookmark) to categorise these things to make it easy to jump around the code.

I find it really useful when I find a bit of yucky code, I can just add 'FIX: Some yucky code here that needs tidying up , and it's easy to find it again at a later date. Also, if you subscribe to a technique that has you build your types and methods with no code, then build the code up, you can stick 'TODO: into all your empty functions.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#8]
Thanks a lot Mark!

Will test it soon...

Byteemoz(Posted 2006) [#9]
1. Variablenames displayed in "code" are not just variablenames: If I put a comment behind a variable declaration, in the same line, the code tab keeps assuring me, there are variables such as "this variable is cool", "necessary", "genious and an example to show", "that the IDE splits my comment and adds it to the variable-window".
2. I need a feature to avoid certain functions, methods or variables to appear in the code-tab. It's because I use "Functions in Methods" and if it displays them seperately it makes no sense at all. I need to hide the sub-functions.

We're currently working on new lexing and parsing methods that will (hopefully) fix these bugs and will support sub-functions.
-- Byteemoz

jhans0n(Posted 2006) [#10]
I like what I see here, but I found what I think is a bug. If you change the colors in the IDE settings, and save them, then go back and change the font size, it resets all of your colors to default. The regular MaxIDE doesn't do this. I'm using the Mac PPC version, so it could be different on other platforms. My Windows PC is in a box in a storage unit right now, so I can't test it there.

RepeatUntil(Posted 2006) [#11]
I am using the community edition since a long time, and this is very cool.
One thing is that should be the default IDE, even if I know that BRL will be reluctant for that...

The auto-tidy code is great BUT I am not tidying the code as you do!! So I would like it to be customizable. For example, you do:
myFunction(param1 , param2 , param3)
But I prefer:
myFunction(param1, param2, param3)

So that would be nice if the user could customize this... Or we do a big poll, and I am sure everyone would prefer my way ;-)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#12]
Ideally, I think I'd prefer to see all the "Coding Aid" or "Auto-*" functionality sat under a single options page, with a lot more configurability (is that a word?). Again, I think the rejigged lexer / parser will help us do this (if only in that we want to consolidate the code into a single area).

As for the font bug, will check that out later. I thought I had played with that to death what with all the win32 textarea bugs, but maybe not...

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#13]
I can't reprodcue the fontsize bug on win32. Anyone on mac able to reproduce this? Maybe a very specific example of changing the settings would help?

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#14]
I have a tiny feature request:

Could you make print output with German Umlauts possible?

Example:
Print "lower: 'äöü' upper: 'ÜÖÄ'"

Byteemoz(Posted 2006) [#15]
This is not a bug or missing feature in MaxIDE CE. The print function uses UTF-8 as output format and that causes every character above ASCII 127 to be converted into a two-byte-value. But you can use WriteStdout(str$) to bypass that:
Print "ÄÖÜ" ' error
WriteStdout "ÄÖÜ~n" ' OK

--Byteemoz

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#16]
Wow, now that is an useful command!

"Writes str to stdout and flushes stdout."
^^No wonder why I didn't understand that from the docs.

Thanks a lot.

P.S.: I guess many other blitz users from non-english countries would like to know that.

Tachyon(Posted 2006) [#17]
IDE not saving changes I've made to the color scheme / font choices? Is this a bug or something I'm not doing right?

Artemis(Posted 2006) [#18]
Hey, great job guys.

For those who don't like the standard icons (like me) I've created a toolbar with icons from the silk icon set.
(Yeah, i edited three icons a bit, but they're originally silk icons.)

Here is it:

Just rename it to "icons.png" put it into the maxide-source folder and build the maxide.

Edit:
And here are the 17 icons in one zip-archive.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#19]
I have a indirect question regarding this ide:

How is the highlighning done?

In my bmx gui app I have the problem that each time I use "formattextarea", the changes are instantly visible in the textbox. This looks odd if you have lots of changes in a long text.

When I load up a text inside the ce bmx ide, the textarea is "locked" and the highlightning is done on the total textfield at once.

Byteemoz(Posted 2006) [#20]
... the textarea is "locked" ...

"LockTextArea" and "UnlockTextArea" ?
--Byteemoz

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#21]
I use that but still I see every single word gets highlighted slowly one by one.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#22]
I use that but still I see every single word gets highlighted slowly (one by one).

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#23]
I'm pretty sure the highlighter doesn't do anything more clever than locktextarea, so no idea why you're seeing stuff formatting. There's no other event handling during the formatting, I could just about believe that a WaitEvent could reset LockTextArea (although I think it unlikely).

I like those icons, I might have to include them - looks like all we'd need to do is link back to the source site.

Tachyon - options are working here, what platform are you on? You just need to hit ok (not close the window or cancel). Are some of the other options working? One thing that does happen is that if you fire up the BRL IDE, the CE IDE options will get over-written, so could that be it? (I am thinking maybe we should have a separate options file...)

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#24]
Thanks Mark for the informations.
The weired issue was just another bug related to the TextArea. :(

For the ce toolbar:
Could you just make it so that when the ide starts up it makes a filecheck for bmxide.png (Toolbar iconfile). If such is present, it will use it. If no file is found, it will use the default incbined toolbar.

'On Startup
If filetype(Icontoolbar)=1 then
loadimage(xxxx)
else
loadimage=incbin(xxxxx)
endif
SetGadgetIconStrip(Icontoolbar)

This way we could use our own toolbar without having to recompile the source. Might be a nice tiny feature.

At least for me... :)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#25]
This doesnt work on my mac, the o/s says the app is damaged or incomplete.

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#26]
Angel, perhaps the filename used to compile is different to the filename it has at the moment.

you can look inside the .App/Contents/Macos to see what it was called.

There's a post somewhere else describing what's missing in the app plist file supplied by the compiler preventing renaming working properly.

maybe...

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#27]
It is not renamed. It gets uncompressed from the archive and I run it right from where it stands without doing anything to it. It doesn't work.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#28]
I downloaded the source, compiled it, renamed it, same problem. Then realized the renaming is the problem, so renamed the normal MaxIde and renamed the community one to MaxIDE, then it works fine.

I like the ide. ... one issue, on an 800x600 screen the panel with the five tabs takes up almost half the screen. It's too wide.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#29]
Yeah, when it firt starts up, the panel sometimes makes itself enormous. You can resize it down and it should remember though.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#30]
Even after resizing it down its too wide. Maybe you can add the option of using icons instead of words for the tabs. Otherwise it's pretty nice, I started using it as my full-time IDE yesterday. I'm not quite sure on the `auto tidy` feature ... since it doesn't present the code in the way I like to see it. Maybe that can be expanded upon?

Byteemoz(Posted 2006) [#31]
The Auto-Tidy algorithm will be rewritten to use the new lexing and parsing algorithms.
But I'm not sure how configurable I want the new algorithm to be... Any suggestions?
-- Byteemoz

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#32]
Obvious potential options being:
one space before commas / semicolons
one space after commas / semicolons
one space after ( and before ) - or not
spaces either side of operators +-/*^

The tabs on the navbar on the right hand side will ultimately (once we've rewritten a lot of the gui code) be able to be turned on/off or moved to other navbars around the screen as you wish - within reason of course! I would like to add images to the tabs (don't think maxgui allows that just yet), but changing such tabs to show just the images only isn't a bad idea...

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#33]
Oh, and can an admin please make this thread sticky like the old one was? Pretty please?

Pineapple(Posted 2006) [#34]
A 'Close All' option in the File menu would be nice! :)

Great work by the way! :)

Dabz

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#35]
For auto tidy i'd like to be able to define how many spaces if any to separate each of the main symbols by - ie +-=/* etc, I'd like to define how many tabs to put before a ' that follows some code, whether to put blank lines after certain contexts, how to display function/method parameters, etc

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#36]
Like the additions to the IDE but can you add the Bmax level to the About screen?

Byteemoz(Posted 2006) [#37]
... how many tabs to put before a ' that follows some code ...

Do you mean some kind of Auto-Align feature that can turn
Const MY_CONST ' comment
Const MY_SECOND_CONST ' comment
Const MY_LONG_THIRD_CONST ' comment
into
Const MY_CONST              ' comment
Const MY_SECOND_CONST       ' comment
Const MY_LONG_THIRD_CONST   ' comment
or simply n Tabs/Spaces between code and comment?

Like the additions to the IDE but can you add the Bmax level to the About screen?

Has been fixed.

-- Byteemoz

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#38]
Could you add automatic upx compression for non-debug exe builds?

Byteemoz(Posted 2006) [#39]
There has been a request (on SourceForge.net) for extended compiler options. These will (probably) contain pre-processing-options, compiler-options (more than debug/release, quick-compile and gui-build) and post-processing-options like executing user-defined commands after compiling.
-- Byteemoz

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#40]
I could offer a small working GUI frontend for UPX V2 if there is interest to add it to the console. Created it to use UPX V2 without console, using MaxGUI

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#41]
Fantastic work, I really like the F3 button to march through 'finding' a string. Well done, the TODO, FIX, functionality is another great tool for development.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#42]
Hey, just to say I've noticed that current version doesn't load unicode files properly, while official IDE does. I think it's a very important compatibility issue between the MaxIDE CD and the official one.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#43]
I think I need to do a recompile with latest bmx syncmods to ensure this. Care to post a test file?

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#44]
here you have a uniciode BMX file:
http://www.blide.org/unicode.bmx

you will see it opens well in the official IDE, in BLIde, in NotePad, but not in the MaxIDE CE

I've been playing with it, and there are several bugs on text formating, I can't output my name, If i make a program like this:

Print "Manel Ibáñez"

I get this in the console:

Manel Ibáñez

I think there is no utf8 and unicode control in the IDE. the default IDE generates the same bad output.

Hope it helps

Byteemoz(Posted 2006) [#45]
I changed the IDE to use Load/SaveText instead of Load/SaveString.

Edit:
PS: Why does BLIde encode files that don't contain charachters above $FF?

-- Byteemoz

Artemis(Posted 2006) [#46]
@ziggy

just try WriteStdOut instead of Print.
Print "Manel Ibáñez"
WriteStdout "Manel Ibáñez"

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#47]
I know WriteStdout ignores the string formating. I just wanted to notice that there are compatibility issues between MaxIDE CE and the BlitzMax engine (the engine outputs UTF8 by default, while the IDE outputs ANSI). I think it's not much of an issue, as I don't use the official IDE or the CE edition IDE, but I thought this info would be helpful.

Edit: Becouse analizing the file before saving it is slower, and becouse characters above 127 are differents in different regional settings, when not using unicode.

Hotcakes(Posted 2006) [#48]
Thanks ziggy. Mark seems suprised this isn't working, so it probably used to work but broke somewhere =]

dmaz(Posted 2006) [#49]
I added single character operator/separtor highlighting... even though I it adds a little to start up I so think it's well worth it. check out the pic below, I think those TTextStyleGadget.Create lines speak for themselves. I find it much easier to see what's going on there. So the question is, should I check it in. I was going to, but, loading up maxide.bmx on my machine takes 5 secs so I guess some people don't want this. Maybe we could add options to not hightlight any of the sections?.... I'm not ready to jump in and put checkboxes in the options tab just yet, maybe I should?

should I not worry about since the new lexer should take care of this anyway, right?

also I changed the tabsize options from (1-8)*2 to just 1 to 16. don't understand the point of not allow you to set odd numbered tabs...?

separtor highlighting

edit: I didn't do periods on purpose
edit again: back in but not for type delimitation

Byteemoz(Posted 2006) [#50]
The file maxide2/lexer-test.bmx already contains an early version of the new highlighting routine:
. . .
			Curr = FirstToken
. . .
			Repeat
				If Not Curr Then Exit

' Highlight token
				Local pos:Int = Curr.FirstChar
				Local length:Int = Curr.LastChar - pos + 1
				Select Curr.Group
					Case TOKEN_GROUP_EOF ' nop
					Case TOKEN_GROUP_EOL ' nop
					Case TOKEN_GROUP_STRING ; FormatTextAreaText TextArea , 0 , 128 , 128 , 0 , pos , length
					Case TOKEN_GROUP_NUMERAL ; FormatTextAreaText TextArea , 255 , 0 , 0 , 0 , pos , length
					Case TOKEN_GROUP_OPERATOR ; 'nop FormatTextAreaText TextArea , 0 , 0 , 255 , 1 , pos , length
					Case TOKEN_GROUP_SEPARATOR ; 'nop FormatTextAreaText TextArea, 128 , 128 , 0 , 0 , pos , length
					Case TOKEN_GROUP_IDENT ; FormatTextAreaText TextArea, 128 , 0 , 0 , 0 , pos , length
					Case TOKEN_GROUP_KNOWN_IDENT ; FormatTextAreaText TextArea , 0, 128 , 0 , 1 , pos , length
					Case TOKEN_GROUP_KEYWORD ; FormatTextAreaText TextArea , 0 , 0 , 255 , 1 , pos , length
					Case TOKEN_GROUP_COMMENT ; FormatTextAreaText TextArea , 128 , 0 , 128 , 2 , pos , length
					Case TOKEN_GROUP_OTHER ' nop						
				EndSelect

. . .

If Curr = LastToken Then Exit
				Curr = Curr.NextToken()
			Forever
. . .
(The hardcoded colour-values will be replaced later.)

-- Byteemoz

dmaz(Posted 2006) [#51]
yeah, saw that.... looks great but any idea how long before it's actually running in the ide?

dmaz(Posted 2006) [#52]
I was just testing the new lexer with the source maxide.bmx and it doesn't seem to be any faster (release build) than the current lexer... so I went and tested some other editors that highlight the same things or more. here is the run down:

highlighting from a control-v paste into the editor. on my machine:

maxide = 5 sec
new lexer = 5 sec
Blide = slightly less than 2 sec
protean for max = 1.5 sec
TextPad = instant! the instant I press ctrl-v the whole file was highlighted. I also tried to make sure it wasn't doing it in the background... it didn't seem to be.

My guess is the TextArea control is the culprit...

Byteemoz(Posted 2006) [#53]
The lexer currently needs about 50 ms for the initial lexing and only a few ms to update the token-list:
Current Source:
Size: 94 kB (96455 Bytes)
Number of lines: 3482
Number of tokens: 21448
  Literals: 1279 (539 Strings, 740 Numerals)
  Identifiers: 9231 (2409 Keywords, 598 Known Identifiers, 6224 Others)
  Special: 7143 (3483 Operators, 3660 Separators)
  Comments: 262
  Others: 52

BlitzMax Lexer:
Keywords: 109
Known Identifiers: 573
Last Operation: AutoUpdateSource -> SetSource
Last Operation Time: 51 ms
Current Source:
Size: 94 kB (96456 Bytes)
Number of lines: 3482
Number of tokens: 21448
  Literals: 1279 (539 Strings, 740 Numerals)
  Identifiers: 9231 (2409 Keywords, 598 Known Identifiers, 6224 Others)
  Special: 7143 (3483 Operators, 3660 Separators)
  Comments: 262
  Others: 52

BlitzMax Lexer:
Keywords: 109
Known Identifiers: 573
Last Operation: AutoUpdateSource -> UpdateSource(FV:47607, LV:48848, -:2, +:2)
Last Operation Time: 3 ms

And the highlighting won't become any faster unless we get rid of the current TextArea...
-- Byteemoz

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#54]
And the highlighting won't become any faster unless we get rid of the current TextArea...

Precisely. I really don't fancy writing my own, but if anyone else in the community would like to take a bash, I'm all ears.

BTW, apologies for being very quiet on the CE version for a while, I've been on hols and very busy ever since. Oh, and the sun's been out too! And when it's not out, there's been the odd game of Naked War. I will hopefully get some time over the weekend and next week to get back into the swing of things.

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#55]
I ran the GTK TextArea against the lexer test program, and I didn't see any noticeable slow-down adding more and more code for it to parse/display.
So, thumbs up from my side :-)

The windows-textarea is pretty crappy.. given that if I run linux in vmware, on the same box, the pages open significantly faster on linux than in windows. Rather sad indeed... The thing I *did* notice, was that it took long enough for the text area to *fill* with the text before it even began colouring it...

@Mark
Apologies for not being much help - having offered my services - but I'm currently down 1 machine and lacking home internet at the moment, which is a bit of a pain... which means I'm 100% linux for now (not such a bad thing now there's a decent editor for it ;-)

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#56]
The CE takes ages to open at 1.22 either starting from the MaxIDE icon or from double-clicking a .bmx file.
Is it just me?
Standard IDE is instanteous.

grable(Posted 2006) [#57]
I hade a similar problem, until i realized it saved double entries of the recent files & project entries and the config file got HUGE!.. maybe you got the same problem? or was this fixed without me noticing???

dmaz(Posted 2006) [#58]
I started to roll my own "CodeArea" and it's turning out pretty well. I have most of the basics working and folding will be an easy addition. I still have a ways to go but I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions so I can plan for them now?

Some things already in or that I'm planning for to have built-in.
-get view row/col
-gutter
-folding
-optional info box that's managed by the gadget...things like location and insert/replace
-custom keys
-simple macros

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#59]
Check the feature reqs on the SF.net site. I think I put most feature requests I'd seen or could think of in there somewhere, so that should give you some ideas.

Wellmt(Posted 2006) [#60]
I've got a request - don't know if anyone agrees with it! Can the code tab (between the Projects and To Do tabs on the right of the main editing window) please sort globals and functions into alphabetical order instead of the order they appear in the source file.

Seems sensible to me that if you can click on them and jump to the right place in the code that it would be easier to find things.

At the moment I have to load up another Bmax editor to find the functions I am looking for!

grable(Posted 2006) [#61]
I you do put it in, PLEASE make it optional ;)

Some of us use the order in the source itself as "sorting".. hehe

Pit-le-rouge(Posted 2006) [#62]
Any new version of IDE CE planned ?
It's still 1.15 since month now.

Cheers.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#63]
Yeah, I've been very busy with work - last weekend saw delivery of a major revamp (£1m+) of our Customer Service system, of which I was in charge of the entire IT build. Scary stuff, and now CS hate me: not because it doesn;t work, but because it does... ;-) Hopefully I'll have some more free time between now and the end of the year. Unless I end up playing too much Naked War, that is!

We had been working on a quite significant rejig of some code, which should make it into a later version. I might do a tidy up release (1.16) though. What I really want to do is incorporate dmaz' codearea as soon as possible - obviously subject to him feeling it's ready.

One thing I'd appreciate is a linux binary compiled with Brucey's GTK to post up. Any offers?

dmaz(Posted 2006) [#64]
it's getting close... I just need to nail down block control then clean up the options. I think then it would be usable enough where we can start incorporating it in the ide while I enhance the syntax capabilities a little more and finish some of the editing features.

Wellmt(Posted 2006) [#65]
Mark Tiffany - Trying to compile the Linux version. Please see the thread in the Linux forum:

http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=63801

Thanks

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#66]
CE IDE doesn't seem to have a 'Close All'.
Is that to be expected?

Yan(Posted 2006) [#67]
Yes it does?

[edit]
You're right, sorry.

I'm thinking of v2.0a. :o/
[/edit]

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#68]
The GTK linux build is now up on SF.net - many thanks to wellmt for providing this.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#69]
Any news on a 'close all' and the Bmax level in the 'About' panel?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#70]
The About panel should already show the current version of blitzmax?

And yes, close all would be handy. It's just that every chance I do get to code anything, I'm focused on big stuff in v2.

*EDIT* And v2 already has "Close All" in it. There's no binary yet, 'cos it's not 100% stable (although it appears to be okay with limited testing). You're welcome to download the code for v2 (maxide2 instead of maxide folder in the CVS) if you wish.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#71]
Thanks Mark.
With 1.15 'About BlitzMax' shows:
BlitzMax version :
IDE Version 1.15
(e.g. the BlitzMax version is blank)
on my install.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#72]
hrmmm, odd. Here's the little bit of the source code that grabs the version number, any chance you could try it on your pc and see what's up?

I'm suspecting that BMXPATH doesn't exist on your pc...

JazzieB(Posted 2006) [#73]
Not had time to test this much, but it looks good. Just noticed that you still don't have an Intel Mac version, so thought I'd do the honours.

Max CE - Intel

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#74]
Cheers, will post it up in the next few days (busy now)

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#75]
Mark, your code returns '1.22'

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#76]
How odd. That is the *exact* same code as in the IDE. On displaying the about form, I just call that function and display the value, so I can't see how that could possibly be broken??? I'll have a poke around in the code over the weekend, but I'm not holding up much hope.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#77]
When is the next update to this nice editor going to be downloadable?

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#78]
It seems to be the size of the label holding the version text
l=CreateLabel(s$ , 160 , 80 , 120 , 20 , w)

Not sure what's happening on my system but the CE-IDE uses Arial 8. The 120 width of the label isn't big enough for all the text and '1.22' is displayed on the next line the overwritten by the IDE Version label.
This might explain
Strict 

Local window:tgadget = CreateWindow("About BlitzMax" , (GadgetWidth(Desktop() ) - 300) / 2 , (GadgetHeight(Desktop() ) - 340) / 2 , 300 , 340 , Null , WINDOW_TITLEBAR | WINDOW_CLIENTCOORDS)

'window=CreateWindow("My Window",30,20,320,480)
'Local Fnt_ce:TGUIFONT = LoadGuiFont("Arial" , 8 , True,True)

Local s:String = "BlitzMax Version : 1.22"
Local l:TGADGET=CreateLabel(s$ , 160 , 80 , 120 , 20 , wINDOW)
'SetGadgetFont l,fnt_ce

While WaitEvent()<>EVENT_WINDOWCLOSE
Wend

Oddly, in the CE IDE Help About that text doesn't seem to be displayed in Arial8 anyway.
If I change the label width to 140 it works as expected.

Pit-le-rouge(Posted 2007) [#79]
No plan for a new version ?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2007) [#80]
We're slowly working on a separate branch - maxide2 - which has some semi major code rejigs done & planned, plus quite a few bug fixes and enhancements now.

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#81]
ooh.. sounds good.. :)

how far have you come with the new version?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2007) [#82]
A lot of it is moving code around to make adding new stuff a bit easier. For example, I'm pretty happy that I'm at the point of being ready to implement GUI panels so that you can place stuff where you want...I'm just going round trying to wrap up known bugs in the code at the moment before I embark on that.