Using Allegro as a new driver for Max2D

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Module Tweaks/Using Allegro as a new driver for Max2D

BeChris(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi everybody.

I just tried to use the gfx capabilities of the Allegro game programming library to add a true 2D software backend to Max2D.
As Allegro can be compiled for Windows, Linux and Mac this could made it a good choice.

All that integrated transparently by typing:

SetGraphicsDriver AllegroMax2DDriver()

For the moment, I only succeed in :
- Opening windowed/fullscreen display.
- Drawing simple primitives (lines, plot, poly)

And I got very good FPS performances.

Unfortunately, I don't feel capable of handling hard topics:
- Drawing/Grabing pixmaps (due to conversion between bmax Pixmap and Allegro BITMAP objects.)
- Forwarding keyboard and mouse events from the Allegro window to the underlying bmax handler.

If nobody is interrested to help I will surely give up. But if someone is interrested and want to begin a community project, I can publish the source of my work on the forum.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#2]
There is a fully working SDL for blitzmax if you care to do a search...

Russell(Posted 2006) [#3]
Yep, right here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=49216&hl=sdl

Russell

BeChris(Posted 2006) [#4]
OK, I found it also.

As I didn't know that much about SDL (I heard of it) I though it achieved poor performences compared to allegro.

Today I made some test with SDL 1.2.9 and was quite happy with it.

And with sdl_gfx we could get rotation and zoom as expected by any descent MAX2d module.

Now the problem is : I'd like it to be seemlessly integrated as a Max2D module, i.e instead of using SDL dedicated functions to open a display and draw things on it,
it should be very cool to just issue a:

SetGfxDriver SDLMax2DDriver() and then use usual commands (Graphics, DrawLine, ...)

Has anyone began to work on this integration ?