B3D as a mod

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Module Tweaks/B3D as a mod

Alienforce(Posted 2006) [#1]
I read somewhere in the forums about someone done a wrapper of the Blitz3D. If thats possible it would be possible to make module out of Blitz3D ??

N(Posted 2006) [#2]
It's been discussed before, it's not going to happen.

Zumwalt(Posted 2006) [#3]
This really needs to happen, I own blitz3d, and I own blitzmax, why on earth would you shoot yourself in your own foot by not support your own 3d engine in your own 2d engine?

I have 3impact and tv3d wrappers to work with it, Its kind of bass ackwards not to support your own 3d engine in your own 2d engine.

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#4]
A straight B3d wrapper mod would probably be restricted to Windows, so why bother?
If you own B3d, there's B3d :)

There is MiniB3d by SimonH, which in my opinion is better than a B3d wrapper since someone could play with it all they want and it's using more modern technology :)
http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=6&log=627

I haven't done anything big with it, but judging by the examples it's pretty well done, though not completely complete.

Edit:
H&K: Mike Myers stole the name.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#5]
I Had a post tennis disscusion with Skid (I think), And it comes down to the fact that 1)It wouldnt be as easy as it first sounds because of the way Blitz3d works. 2) It would be windows specific. 3)The time would be better spent writting max3d.

Tho there is a mini3d port of Blitz3d somewhere

Edit. Beaten to it by a cat! How Embarasing
EditEdit. I didnt KNOW Mike Myers had used the name at all. Mr Myers chose to use it as a cats name, Because it SOUNDS like a cats name ;)

Zumwalt(Posted 2006) [#6]
Thanks for both answers.
I guess the real question is will Max3d be a new product all together or a plugin for owners of blitzmax and free to those who own it.. probably a new product.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#7]
I very very Much doubt it will be free. And to be honest I wouldnt expect it to be

Zumwalt(Posted 2006) [#8]
Wouldn't matter to me either way. If it uses DX9 and is well documented, I would be willing to pay for it, if not, I have enough to keep me busy for a little while until its debugged.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#9]
...and is well documented

Ahh! Well you see it's like this...

Zumwalt(Posted 2006) [#10]
Come to think of it, it would have to be a different product since blitzmax is cross platform, and a max3d would only be windows, maybe mac, but I don't know didley about mac's.

Yan(Posted 2006) [#11]
Come to think of it, it would have to be a different product since blitzmax is cross platform, and a max3d would only be windows
Blimey!...Max3D will be a cross platform 3D module for BMax....Simple really. ;o)

[edit]
Oh, it's *not* gonna be free!
[/edit]

Zumwalt(Posted 2006) [#12]
Ok, well, the sooner Max3D is done, the sooner I can pay for it :)

Tricky(Posted 2006) [#13]
Come to think of it, it would have to be a different product since blitzmax is cross platform, and a max3d would only be windows

Could you gimme one good explanation why?
If they could get the GUI features cross-platform (and there's a lot of diffrences in Windows and Mac GUI systems) then why not a 3D system?

Of course the difrences between DirectX and OpenGL would have to be taken in order. But that was already the case with the Max2D module.

But what do I know?

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#14]
1. Max2D originally was OpenGL only, so that point does not hold. Thats the reason why DX7 is in and not DX9 although it would have been the far wiser decision: It was easier to create it due to B3D. It was a very unwise rush there. While I understand that it was needed as fast as possible, DX7 is no usefull DX7 version anymore. Not even the crap cards can use it correctly (Intel which makes 50% of the market) because its outdated for over 6 years now.

2. A 3D system is a little more work to get it cross plattform. Especially as Max3D was mentioned to be next gen which means rewrite from scratch and not B3D stone age technology.

Tricky(Posted 2006) [#15]
I understand the Max2D point. But they were able to make a DX version of it. (Logical since Microsoft wants to get rid of OpenGL, as far as my knowlegde goes). So if its possible for Max2D, then why not for Max3D. Since both DirectX and OpenGL have 3D possibilities.
But since one of BlitzMax's greatest assets is it's cross-platform nature, they would kill BMax's ground principles if Max3D would be Windows-Only.

A 3D system is a little more work to get it cross plattform. Especially as Max3D was mentioned to be next gen which means rewrite from scratch and not B3D stone age technology.

I don't know all the ins and outs of DX or GL, so I can't jugde it, but if they are going to write it from scratch then indeed much more possibilities could be taken in order, including cross-platform.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#16]
Tricky, I think you're missing the point. The
and a max3d would only be windows
statement was incorrect.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#17]
No one ever said that it was Windows only, that only would be the problem if B3D would become a mod until the real Max3D was finished as it is dx.

Hotcakes(Posted 2006) [#18]
MiniB3D works on all platforms, does it not?

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#19]
Yes if you take out Windows then you are right (it uses OpenGL which is the not preferred renderer on windows as Intel has no usefull OpenGL drivers at all but makes more than 50% of the users)

But MiniB3D has nothing to do with the Blitz3D sources at all and misses some of the features and most likely more than just a few things not noticed so far. Collision is the most obvious thing, how much of the scene graph - culling etc is there or not is something we can not really say as we don't know how B3Ds works exactly.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#20]
Dreamora,

No one ever said that it was Windows only, that only would be the problem if B3D would become a mod until the real Max3D was finished as it is dx.

So what's this...

Come to think of it, it would have to be a different product since blitzmax is cross platform, and a max3d would only be windows, maybe mac, but I don't know didley about mac's.

from Zumwalt?

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#21]
You took it out of the context. The context was that a B3D as BM module should really happen but it would need to be a different product as the "ofiicial modules" (and thus Max3D) are all crossplattform, but B3D as mod wouldn't be cross plattform

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#22]
Disagree. I took it in the context in which it was written.
Anyway, the point was to answer Tricky's queries regarding the X-platform nature of Max3D.

*(Posted 2006) [#23]
im with MiniB3d its brilliant :)