Module Ideas

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Module Tweaks/Module Ideas

N(Posted 2006) [#1]
Anyone got any they'd like to see? I'm not saying I'm going to do each and every request, but if they're interesting I'd try it.

Only catch is that you have to be OK with the module being released under the MIT license and that it's not a wrapper of some other code.

Of course, you can always contact me privately if you want something done out of the public eye (but it'll cost you ;).

Anyhow, post module ideas. The distribution of anything coming out of this will not be under my current method, it will be direct download and not on a per-request basis.

And remember, only original ideas, not wrappers for existing libraries (this is to avoid license conflicts).

This should give anyone who's bored something to work on, myself included.

Fetze(Posted 2006) [#2]
www.red3d.com/cwr/steer/

I think, that would be nice as BMax-Module.

bradford6(Posted 2006) [#3]
Python.
http://docs.python.org/ext/ext.html

N(Posted 2006) [#4]
And remember, only original ideas, not wrappers for existing libraries (this is to avoid license conflicts).

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#5]
That steer one would be very cool.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#6]
cross platform multiple mouse support working on win98, xp and mac :)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#7]
cross platform multiple mouse support working on win98, xp and mac :)

You should ask your fairy godmother for that one, else find a lamp and rub it a few times :P

Russell(Posted 2006) [#8]
PureBasic <ducks> has a nice 'Movie' library that makes it very easy to incorporate movies in various formats to be used directly inside apps: You can even play a movie as a sprite (image the possibilities!).

Anyway, a movie module that uses one of the few open source libraries for such purposes would be useful and cool.

Of course, a music mod module that uses one of the open source players out there, such as d.u.m.b. (part of Audiere) has been talked about as well.

And jpeg2000 support (I think available for free somewhere), because it is png-like with lossless options and even smaller file sizes...

Any of these would very cool and worthwhile.

Russell

TeaVirus(Posted 2006) [#9]
Russell
Here's a simple mod for controlling MPlayer:
http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=55043

RJJ(Posted 2006) [#10]
Cross-platform Image and Movie loading/saving

Hotcakes(Posted 2006) [#11]
For movie support, I vote Theora as a bare minimum. Although BRL already mentioned passing interest in writing support for that format already, so you may not want to 'waste' your time. But it would be cool. =]

MrCredo(Posted 2006) [#12]
@Noel Cower

new modules for:
-CRC32 (checksum)
-MD5 (fingerprint)
-SHA1 (fingerprint)

i wrote this functions for my mapeditor - you find sources at mapeditor.de.vu (free package)
but this sources are ONLY for blitzplus. If you like, you can port all this to BlitzMax.

this functions are very good optimiced by me.

(note crc32 in my source do not read first 8 bytes of a file)

more modules:
-executing file on all platforms (i think this is not implemented in blitzmax)

-encryption module - blowfish or how this all call... here are many algos

-collision/intersection module for line, circle, rectangle and all others

-module for converting RGB<->HSL<->CMYK and other

-module for interpolation - (bicubic, bilinear and other)

N(Posted 2006) [#13]
-module for converting RGB<->HSL<->CMYK and other

Already covered that under my Cower.Utility module. (It's called HSV, by the way)

MrCredo(Posted 2006) [#14]
and where is CMYK and others? :-)

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#15]
HSL is also valid, although different than HSV.

HSL = Hue, Saturation, Luminescence
HSV = Hue, Saturation, Value
HSB = Hue, Saturation, Brightness.

HSV & HSB are identical, HSL is slightly different.

N(Posted 2006) [#16]
and where is CMYK and others? :-)

In the module.

It's under the per-request basis since it was made about half a week before this was posted.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#17]
Multiplatform screensaver module that makes it easy to make a screensaver on all three platforms, OpenGL and/or directX.

Music module player.

3d audio?

GW(Posted 2006) [#18]
I like Russels idea of a movie module. something simple that would allow you to attach the playback of an AVI file to the graphics window for play even in fullscreen under both DX and OGL. Publishers like it when you play thier little into movie at the start of the game.

Russell(Posted 2006) [#19]
The movie format itself is not that important (to me) as long as there are converters that can convert movies to this other format, such as Theora.

Although, mpeg1/2 are pretty well supported by all platforms already...however they may have licensing issues?

I vote for anim-5 myself! ;) (inside Amiga joke)

The ability to render a movie inside a scene could be really useful and cool...especially when 3D is available!

A lot of the required code is already available as open source, too.

A tiny, one-type-of-mod-only music mod player. I had a go at writing one in PB a year or so ago, but I couldn't figure out how to get the sound output to work on all platforms. I may have another try at this. The one I had only did .mod mods (4 channel, 8 bit Amiga), and was written as a thread in PB.

Threads! Do threads, Noel! Or BRL. Or... somebody. They are really addictive once you use them.

Russell

p.s. I know someone had done threads in BM, but I remember Mark saying that they were not guaranteed to be "safe".

N(Posted 2006) [#20]
Threads! Do threads, Noel! Or BRL. Or... somebody. They are really addictive once you use them.

Unfortunately, due to the current way things are handled, it is not even the slightest bit safe to use threads.

If it were safe I would've done it ages ago.

Russell(Posted 2006) [#21]
That's a pity, too, because they have good uses (like playing music mods in the background).

I'm guessing BM would need a substantial rewrite in order to be thread safe, from what I've read.

Oh well, there are LOTS of things more important than threads to incorporate into BM.

Russell

N(Posted 2006) [#22]
I'm porting the BogusGL renderer to BlitzMax since Max2D is utterly useless at the moment.

Fetze(Posted 2006) [#23]
What's the BogusGL-Renderer?

N(Posted 2006) [#24]
A 2D engine I wrote for a project.

Amon(Posted 2006) [#25]
Can we have a 3d Module to rival the Unreal Engine? I would also like a custom physics module that can calculate weather patters around my toenail.

Haramanai(Posted 2006) [#26]
I vote :
-collision/intersection module for line, circle, rectangle and all others

This is a challenge...

Fetze(Posted 2006) [#27]
A fast collision-system for polygons would be really really nice ^^

Haramanai(Posted 2006) [#28]
So what it will be Noel?

N(Posted 2006) [#29]
Ain't telling.

Edit: Some people might not understand my reason for the above. This is so people don't start asking me "why didn't you do THIS?!" I don't want that.

Haramanai(Posted 2006) [#30]
Fair.

Fetze(Posted 2006) [#31]
Will you tell us, when you estimate the module to be finished?