MaxIDE Tweaks - Project File

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Module Tweaks/MaxIDE Tweaks - Project File

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hey Guys, I have some time off today so I thought I would make a start on a file based Project system for the IDE.

Before I get to far I wanted to make sure nobody else has started one.

I also wanted to gather some ideas about what you would like it to do.

- Basically it's a hierarchical list of files.
- Each file should probably know what "kind" it is (.bmx or .jpg etc) to make sorting and searching them easier.
- One file will be marked the build file.
- I guess the command line and build options should be project specific.

What else?

Reason for replacing the existing Project system...

- to get files out of the tree that are not useful. For example, .app and .debug.app folders.
- to have a place to save "metadata" about a project. What window icon to use, what files should be "open" etc..

Any other good reasons?

Chris C(Posted 2005) [#2]
sounds like a good idea!

Just working like you sugest seems good.

If ever I d/load someone elses code I'm always wondering which is the build file...

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#3]
Automatic versioning system for down the track would be nice.

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#4]
I'm using perforce here and would love to have a nice integration. But as you suggested, I think that is for later. CVS and SVN would also be good.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#5]
One thing that would be neat for a project build file, would be a "make package" function. I'm not suggesting this is much more than just running a series of command lines for now. So you could for example compile your program (forcing non-debug), resHack it, move all relevant files to a dir, roll it up into a self extracting install file, etc., all just by selecting "Build Package" from the IDE.

But really, that's for further down the line. All that's needed for now is what you've got above. I would like to see the Projects tab moved out from the documentation tab though in the IDE.

Proger(Posted 2005) [#6]
>What else?
Search in Project!

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#7]
And Type / function etc browsing based on project not on file

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#8]
don't woory

d-bug(Posted 2005) [#9]
An optional Project-Mode would be nice. This will force the IDE to build the projects main-file instead of the currently active tabber. It would be easier during development.

This idea isn't new, VisualBlitz got it and it was really useful.

Regards

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#10]
This idea isn't new

er, "Lock Build File" ?

d-bug(Posted 2005) [#11]
oops

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#12]
oops

It's surprising how many people don't spot that one... ;-)