About MinGW...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Module Tweaks/About MinGW...

marksibly(Posted 2005) [#1]
PC users wishing to build modules or compile source code that imports C/C++ code will need to install the MinGW C/C++ compiler package.

* Download and install MinGW 3.1.0 from www.mingw.org

The current download can be found here:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe?download

Note: Do not use a later version of MinGW. Due to ongoing issues with C++, you may have trouble linking with 'prebuilt' modules if you do.

* Edit your PATH environment to include the MinGW/bin directory.

* Create a MINGW environment variable that points to the MinGW root directory.

And that should be it! You should now be able to use the 'build modules' feature in the IDE.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#2]
How do you do the second two steps after downloading?

Amon(Posted 2006) [#3]
If you're running xp click the start button, right click on 'My Computer' >> 'Properties'. Click the 'Advanced Tab' and at the bottom you will see the 'Environment Variables' button. Click that. It should open up a new window with two boxes named 'User Variables for blah' and 'System Variables'.

Click 'New' for User Variables and in the 'Variable Name'Box type 'MinGW'. In the 'Variable Value' Box enter the path to the MinGW installation ie C:\MinGW. Then click OK.

In the 'System Variables' box, scroll down until you see the variables 'Path'. Click on it and click the edit button. In the 'Variable Value' box, move your curser to the end of text, add a semi colon, and put the path to your MinGW\bin directory. eg, c:\MinGW\Bin. Click ok and ok again and you should be ready to go.

:)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#4]
Great, exactly what I (and others) needed to know. Thanks.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#5]
I had no problem following these instructions. Got BlitzMax up and running under WinXP in no time and it compiled my app first time (after 2 syntax errors) and ran exactly as it did on my Mac. Brilliant!

DannyD(Posted 2006) [#6]
Anyone using this under Mac Os X ?

Cruis.In(Posted 2006) [#7]
uh there are so many mingw files there, which do i download besides the winAPI one? or do i need only that one? cause it didnt come with a mingw/bin directory like i am reading in marks post.

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#8]
There is only 1 file listed in the post above that you need called MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe, click on the link, then select the mirror, download and run (it's an installer). Then add the path and environment variables.

Cruis.In(Posted 2006) [#9]
thanks

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#10]
Anyone have problems with getting this working in Vista should look at this thread.