BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Module Tweaks/Skype

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi!
I guess everyone knows Skype? It's free Internet telephony for MacOS, Windows, Linux. They have a developers page, and they mention the following:

Online gaming

Many gamers are already using Skype for operations coordination, for example in first-person shooter games. Skype functions can be integrated directly into the game interface.

Skype lets game developers flexibly modify the nature of the sound passed through Skype with the aid of external real-time audio effects processing component. For example, when the communication inside the game takes place over simulated radio equipment, the player is piloting a fighter aircraft that receives instructions from Central Command, and the sound could be manipulated by the game to add radio crackles and noises. If the communication takes place in an open environment where people shout or call for each other, the volume of the sound could be dependent of the virtual distance between game characters, and the sound could be manipulated with reverb and echo effects according to the game environment materials.

http://www.skype.com/community/devzone/expandingskype.html

That would make an excellent Blitzmax module! Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge/time to make such a module, but I just wanted to post this because it might be a good idea for some developers on this board, perhaps for their games.

teamonkey(Posted 2005) [#2]
I agree, that would be an excellent module!

I'm not that familiar enough with the raw Windows API to give it a go, but it just looks like it just involves passing simple messages to and from the Skype window. No need to mess around with sound channels or networking or anything like that.

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#3]
I don't know if you specificly have to call the Windows API; perhaps they give you some sort of platform independant access?

RepeatUntil(Posted 2005) [#4]
I think it would be great to have this in BlitzMax. But after looking a bit, I found this in the FAQ:

Is it possible to make calls via the API without launching the Skype application?

No. The API only covers access from 3rd party applications to the Skype client.

So if I understand correctly, it's not possible to have it in a game without launching the skype windows??

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#5]
there's always Speak Freely source is available under the GNU GPL.