Linked list tweak gone arry

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Module Tweaks/Linked list tweak gone arry

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#1]
I've been looking att he best way to organize my parsed data, and put it through various processes to change it, and this seems like the best way - have a list of objects. In many cases, obviously, the objects will have inter-relationships, usually before/after/etc. Decided the best way to do this was access the last created enumerator... Anyway, in working on it ive noticed some odd stuff:

Strict

Framework brl.standardio

Local hmm:TList=New TList
hmm.AddLast("moo")
hmm.Addlast("cow")

For Local i$=EachIn hmm
	Print i$
	hmm.Enum._link._value="hi"
Next

Type TLink

Field _value:Object
	Field _succ:TLink,_pred:TLink

End Type

Type TListEnum

Field _link:TLink

Method HasNext()
		Return _link._value<>_link
	End Method

Method NextObject:Object()
		Local value:Object=_link._value
		Assert value<>_link
		_link=_link._succ
		Return value
	End Method

End Type

Type TList

Field _head:TLink
	Field Enum:TListEnum

Method New()
		_head=New TLink
		_head._succ=_head
		_head._pred=_head
		_head._value=_head
	End Method

Method Delete()
		_head._value=Null
		_head._succ=Null
		_head._pred=Null
	End Method

Method AddLast:TLink( value:Object )
		Return InsertBeforeLink( value,_head )
	End Method

Method InsertBeforeLink:TLink( value:Object,succ:TLink )
		Local link:TLink=New TLink
		link._value=value
		link._succ=succ
		link._pred=succ._pred
		link._pred._succ=link
		succ._pred=link
		Return link
	End Method

Method ObjectEnumerator:TListEnum()
		enum=New TListEnum
		enum._link=_head._succ
		Return enum
	End Method

End Type

This is some example code plus a very cut-down linked list module. as you can see very oddly it loops. I dont see why it would. By setting the value of the current node, it should simply overwrite it and move on (a flushmem would cleanup the leftovers). However, for whatever reason, it loops forever instead.

I've tried debugstop, but for some reason or another debugstop basically exits the program for me. never used it before. I hit step and it skips everything o.0, in otherwords i see nothing in output.

Posting it here cause it has code from a brl module...

Any idea whats going on? If i comment out the thing that is only changing the value of a variable it works fine, but obviously doesnt change the stuff in the list. Sure, I could make a new list but its inefficient and less elegant.

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#2]
figured it out - the linked list is actually a linked loop, where the end/start has a value of TLink. To obtain the actual current link you have to access the previous one, which is what causes it to overwrite the head with a string causing an infinite loop.