Bank module

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Module Tweaks/Bank module

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#1]
Ok, I made the bank module help much more informative(IMHO), as well as 2 extra methods/functions. I also implemented an intelligent autoresize system that is by default off and can be turned on. (described in help for resizebank).

And an example using new features:
Mine:TBank=CreateBank(0)
Mine.AutoResizeLimit=50
Mine.ResizeIncrement=10
Mine.PokeBit(0,0,1)
Mine.PokeBit(0,1,0)
Mine.PokeBit(0,2,1)
Mine.PokeBit(0,3,1)
Mine.PokeBit(0,4,0)
Mine.PokeBit(0,5,0)
Mine.PokeBit(0,6,1)
Mine.PokeBit(0,7,0)
Mine.PokeInt(1,60)
For Local j=0 To 4
	For Local i=0 Until 8
		Print ""+Mine.PeekBit(j,i)
	Next
Next
Print Mine.PeekByte(0)
Print "Bank is "+Mine.Size()+" bytes long"
Print "This is for resizebank speed reasons"

BRL, I would suggest simply copy pasting this into your bank.bmx file.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2004) [#2]
As some people will be using banks for performance, the extra if added in poke for auto-resizing seems to be a bad idea.

I'd suggest that a more appropriate way of implementing this would be to Extend the TBank type into a TResizeableBank, and over-ride the relevant methods.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#3]
IMHO, if you want performance you can just do:
RawMem:Byte Ptr=MemAlloc(50)
RawMem[0]=5
RawMem[1]=2
This would be alot faster than the original bank functions as well.

Anyway, I've seen many times people us banks as a dynamic data structure and resizing every time data is added. This is veerrry sloooow, something my autoresizing stuff doesnt suffer from due to ResizeIncrement. I guess I can wrie it extending bank class, although, if you are going to worry about the speed of an extra if, maybe I should just copy this class and rename it. An extra if and a comparisent isnt going to affect too much. If your worried about this might as well leave BMAX and grab a copy of Dev-C++ eh?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#4]
The other reason for extending the type (rather than replacing) is to avoid your changes being lost on a syncmods (unless TBank is Final?)

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#5]
True. I'm hoping BRL will consider and implement some of the features. At least use the new docs.