BlitzMax TortoiseSVN Tutorial (Windows)

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Tutorials/BlitzMax TortoiseSVN Tutorial (Windows)

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi,

I did a quick flash tutorial a few months back which shows how to access the development version of BlitzMax using TortoiseSVN (which you should download and install before starting), in addition to setting up MinGW.

Mark Tiffany is kindly hosting it on his web-space for me:

BlitzMax TortoiseSVN Tutorial
Note: After the flash file has loaded (approx. 3.6MB), you navigate from step-to-step using the green directional arrows at the bottom of the screen.

Hope it helps someone out there, other than that, enjoy!

Galaxy613(Posted 2008) [#2]
I tried this tutorial, but while I was checking out "dev/main" I got this error:

"Can't move
'D:\Programes\BlitzNew\BlitzMax\bmxdev\mod\pub.mod\freetype.mod\src...\entries'
to
'D:\Programes\BlitzNew\BlitzMax\bmxdev\mod\pub.mod\freetype.mod\src\autofit...\
Access is denied."

Any ideas? :-\

Sir_LANs-a-lot(Posted 2008) [#3]
Meny thanks for that Seb - Worked OK here using Vista Home Premium.

There were one or two minor alterations due to differing paths in MinGW (v3.4.5) but nothing that couldn't be corrected very easily.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#4]
I tried this tutorial, but while I was checking out "dev/main" I got this error:

"Can't move
'D:\Programes\BlitzNew\BlitzMax\bmxdev\mod\pub.mod\freetype.mod\src...\entries'
to
'D:\Programes\BlitzNew\BlitzMax\bmxdev\mod\pub.mod\freetype.mod\src\autofit...\
Access is denied."

Any ideas? :-\

Can't say I've seen that one before. Perhaps a PC restart will guarantee there aren't any processes accessing the file, and maybe try deleting the entire BlitzMax SVN folder and start again (not just its contents). This should mean you get a fresh checkout when you reattempt it.

Also, looking at the paths given, it seems like you've checkout out the main repo folder into a new subfolder name bmxdev. You should checkout it to the root BlitzMax folder so that your structure looks something like:

D:\Programes\BlitzNew\BlitzMax\mod\brl.mod .......
D:\Programes\BlitzNew\BlitzMax\mod\pub.mod .......

If you're still stuck, make sure that you are using the latest version of TortoiseSVN as a new version was released about a week or so ago iirc.

Galaxy613(Posted 2008) [#5]
Oh, so I'm supposed to check it out in the main BlitzMax directory? You created a new one in the tutorial, I guess I skipped the part that you explained that. >.> I'll try again.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#6]
Oh, so I'm supposed to check it out in the main BlitzMax directory?

Well, yes and no. Yes you need to checkout into the BlitzMax root directory, but it shouldn't be the same folder (or even a subfolder) of your current BlitzMax v1.30 installation. You should really keep the two separate.

If I were you, I'd have something like:

D:\Programes\BlitzNew\BlitzMax\ <-- I assume that this currently holds your BlitzMax v1.30 installation (don't change this at all).
D:\Programes\BlitzNew\BlitzMax SVN\ <-- This should be where you could checkout your SVN version of BlitzMax to.

Follow the tutorial after creating this new "BlitzMax SVN" folder in BlitzNew.