Arcade Emulator in Blitzmax

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Tutorials/Arcade Emulator in Blitzmax

remz(Posted 2008) [#1]
Welcome to this Arcade Emulator Tutorial. The game we are going to emulate is the famous classic, Space Invaders.
This tutorial should appeal to programmers that already know Blitzmax programming and have some knowledge of binary numbers and CPU in general. You don't need to know any Assembler, but this is not an assembly language tutorial so we'll focus on getting result.

Here's the link to the complete tutorial :
http://rveilleux.googlepages.com/blitzmaxarcadeemulatortutorial
A complete source + data ZIP archive is available, compatible with Windows and Mac OS (not tested on Linux yet).

I will also put a precompiled EXE for Windows and Mac OS for those that might not have Blitzmax and just wanted to see the result.

Thank you and good luck with your emulation career!

Xerra(Posted 2008) [#2]
I've only read half way through but i've already picked up a few usefull pointers and ideas from reading your work here. Good work, fella. Looking forward to some more from you. Well done !

QuietBloke(Posted 2008) [#3]
I must say I have enjoyed this tutorial... You have made it look easy.
If I had the time I would be tempted to emulate something myself.. nothing too complex... maybe a Spectrum.. or maybe start with a ZX-81 :).

Great Stuff.. Its much appreciated.

u2o(Posted 2008) [#4]
Wow! I totally enjoyed this tutorial. I had no intention of spending my Saturday hooked on this, but the whole tutorial is so well structured you just keep reading.

Very well done, this is one of the best tutorials I have ever read!

Thank you for sharing.

Please write some more :)

EOF(Posted 2008) [#5]
Very nice Remz

Great to see Space Invaders in action

deps(Posted 2008) [#6]
Great tutorial! I was reading it from start to end in one sitting.
Awesome work, please write a new one. How about berzerk? :)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2008) [#7]
Just remembered to come back and thank you for an informative and interesting tutorial.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2008) [#8]
Very impressive! :)

CoderLaureate(Posted 2008) [#9]
This is truly fantastic. I *LOVE* the 8080 emulation. What an excellent job!

BTW. I downloaded the source code onto my Linux box, and it ran beautifully on fedora 8. No changes were needed what so ever.

Again.
FANTASTIC Job!

JazzieB(Posted 2008) [#10]
This was really good. Almost inspires me to write a 68000 emulator, or maybe just a 6502 one.

lotonah(Posted 2008) [#11]
Wouldn't compile for me on my Mac Pro...turns out that I was running an older build of Blitz! LOL Thanks, great tutorial!