How to program a BreakOut Clone using BlitzMax

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Tutorials/How to program a BreakOut Clone using BlitzMax

assari(Posted 2006) [#1]
This tutorial series shows how a simple Breakout clone can be programmed using BlitzMax.

This series builts on the 2D Game Framework introduced in Learning 2D Game Programming With BlitzMax series.

The tutorials are as follows:-
Section 1:
Part 1: The basic Framework elements
Part 2: Adding the TBall Game Object
Part 3: Adding TPaddle Game Object
Part 4: Adding the TBrick Game Object
Section 2:
Part 5: introducing Game States
Part 6: A new revised Framework with Game States

Enjoy

Glenn Dodd(Posted 2006) [#2]
Another Excellent Tutorial.
Many Thanks Assari

maximo(Posted 2006) [#3]
nice links are broken now! ;)

Punksmurf(Posted 2006) [#4]
The whole site is offline... yesterday it was still there so maybe the server broke or so. I guess (and hope!) they'll be back online soon :)

assari(Posted 2006) [#5]
Apologies guys, don't know what happened but the site is now back up.

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#6]
not so sure about this one:
        Rotation :+ 10
        If Rotation >= 360 Then Rotation=0

Wouldn't it be more flexible to use 'MOD 360'? This 'Rotation=0'-thing only works when the rotation deltas will eventually match 360 exactly, if you use another delta (for the sake of variation or experimenting) and a delta hits something like 366 then 'Rotation=0' results in a small jump.. (correct new value should be 6 then, not 0!)

In the ideal case the user uses my Box function from the code-archives, then also negative deltas can be used! (-2 wraps to 358 then) :P

assari(Posted 2006) [#7]
You are right but I did not want to introduce MOD at this stage. The rotation variable will not be anything but multiples of 10 anyway so even Rotation = 360 should work but >= seems safer :)

simesf(Posted 2006) [#8]
Assari, why don't you try writing a book? I've said it before & I'll say it again; I will happily pay good money for a hard copy or an online e-book or a subscription fee for an ongoing series of web based tutorials. And yes, I'm being selfish because if you make money out of these outstanding efforts you will be more motivated to carry on the good work.

simesf

assari(Posted 2006) [#9]
Thanks simesf. At the moment my main constraint is time. You'll never know, at this pace there may be enough material to turn into a book :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#10]
Thankyou Assari, this is a very instructive guide, long may you continue to improve coders lives with your teach-ins.

kragoth74(Posted 2006) [#11]
Very interesting, Assari. Thanks a lot.