Nested Loop For Lotto

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Tutorials/Nested Loop For Lotto

JoshPo(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi I am new to the group, and new to VB. I ran programs I wrote on my Commodore years ago but things have changed. I am running this on my iMac Snow Leopard.
Running this routine gets a 'Next without matching For' error message. Moving lines around or changing them gets an 'End of Life' error message.
I have scoured the 'net for 2 days and find no way to fix this. Is it obsolete code?
For a = 1 To 10
For b = 5 To 15
For c = 9 To 20
If a >= b Then
If b >= c Then
EndIf
Print a, b, c
Next

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2013) [#2]
The code doesn't make sense and wouldn't make sense in VB.

You have two 'ifs' but only one 'endif' and you have 3 'fors' but only one next (3 fors need 3 nexts), hence the error.

If you indent your code, these kinds of error will be more easy to spot, e.g.
For a = 1 To 10
   For b = 5 To 15
      if a >= b Then
             'a is greater than or equal to b
      endif
   next
   Print a, b
Next

JoshPo(Posted 2013) [#3]
Thanks, I knew it had to be something simple.
-Taggart

JoshPo(Posted 2013) [#4]
Now I get 'Compile Error' 'Too many function parameters'
The line Print a, b is lit

JoshPo(Posted 2013) [#5]
Not as simple as it used to be but making progress.
Thanks all

GregH(Posted 2013) [#6]
Actually try this -
For a = 1 To 10
   For b = 5 To 15
      if a >= b Then
             'a is greater than or equal to b
      endif
   next
   Print a + " " + b
Next

The Print statement doesn't work like it used to in BASIC. Print in BlitzMAX simply writes a string to the standard IO stream which ends with a newline character. To print two values you now need to combine them as a single string. The '+' concatenates pieces of the string and the " " is simply a space in between.

JoshPo(Posted 2013) [#7]
Thanks I will try that :)

JoshPo(Posted 2013) [#8]
That print command works great ... thanks!

JoshPo(Posted 2013) [#9]
I have managed to make a program that works well. It might not be as elegant as some would have it but with my limited knowledge I think it's fine, and produces what it is intended to produce, 6 lottery numbers with no duplicates.
In this example only 'For a' and 'For b' overlap (number 8 in both lines) but I have run it with all lines overlapping and it prints no duplications.
I don't know why the 'For g' must be in place, but without it the last number prints the same repeated '48' all the way down the list.
And I read here and there that no one likes the GoTo statement, but I can find no simple substitute.

For a = 4 To 8
For b = 8 To 12
For c = 16 To 20
For d = 28 To 32
For e = 37 To 41
For f = 43 To 47
For g = -1 To -1

If a >= b Goto Here
If b >= c Goto Here
If c >= d Goto Here
If d >= e Goto Here
If e >= f Goto Here

Next
Print a + " " + b + " " + c + " " + d + " " + e + " " + f
#Here
Next
Next
Next
Next
Next
Next

TaskMaster(Posted 2013) [#10]
Wow?!?!?! oOoO...

What does it do, exactly?

Xerra(Posted 2013) [#11]
I suspect you're trying to do something like this ...

' ** Lotto numbers generation example **

SuperStrict

Global temp:Int, compare:Int, flag:Int, a:int
Global Numbers:Int [6]

SeedRnd MilliSecs() ' Generate a random seed or you get the same six numbers constantly

For temp = 1 To 6
	RandomNumber
	Numbers[temp] = a
	Print Numbers[temp]
Next

Function RandomNumber()
	flag = true
	Repeat
		a=Rnd (1,49)
		For compare=1 To temp
			If Numbers[compare]=a
				flag = False
			EndIf
		Next
	Until flag = true
End Function

Kind of hacked together but it seems to work and does check to make sure that you don't get duplicate numbers. I suspect someone else will throw in something a little more readable and much more efficient anyway :)

JoshPo(Posted 2013) [#12]
TaskMaster:
It wheels any numbers from 1 to 54 (for example) in 6 positions in whatever position you put them in without duplicating any of them. You can wheel all or part of a complete lotto game. It can also be scaled back to a Pick 5 game or whatever.

Xerra:
I could not get your game to run. Had a problem with,
If Numbers[compare]=a But I see the logic in it.

Thanks all!

GfK(Posted 2013) [#13]
This is either the weirdest tutorial I've ever seen, or it's in the wrong forum?

JoshPo(Posted 2013) [#14]
Sorry, being new around here I started this in the wrong forum. But if you want a lottery wheel that lets you pick what numbers to use and uses no random numbers (you can buy those at the store) this is a good place to start.