arrays for inventory

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/arrays for inventory

Cruis.In(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hey guys, how would I go about using a 2d array to hold inventory data? Never really worked with arrays much. But I don't think I can get away from them for an inventory system.

Something like

inventory[3,3]

inventory[0,0] = 'Sword'
inventory[0,1] = 'Quantity'

inventory[1,0] = Shield
inventory[1,1] = quantity

Tell me if I understand the above correct. For example 0,1 is merely an index pointing to a location, so the 0,1 number doesn't increase, let us imagine 0,1 then as a box, when it increases, you don't get more boxes, you simply throw things in the box, is this correct? So inv[0,1] = 10 means that index is equal to 10 until i change the value and print inv[0,1] would give me 10 correct?

So inventory[0,1] = 10

means you have 10 swords? Still correct?

If I wanted to add this info from the 2d array to a listbox for a text base kind of inventory, i am not getting what the setup would be...

How would I check for the item in the box, and if it is there, 'stack' the quantity number, instead of adding a duplicate entry to illustrate you have more than one of the same item?

If item you are buying = an item in your inventory
quantity of itemname = quantity of item name + 1

little bit stumped here...

GfK(Posted 2013) [#2]
Use a TMap. Typed straight into the replybox so probably won't work right off, but you get the idea.

Type tInventory
  Field items:TMap

Method New()
    Self.items = New TMap
  End Method

Method AddItem(name:String, qty:Int)
    Local t:tInventoryItem
    'do we already have some of this item?
    t = tInventoryItem(Self.items.ValueForKey(name))
    If t
      t.qty:+qty
    Else
      t = new tInventoryItem
      t.name = name
      t.qty = qty
      Self.items.Insert(t.name,t)
    EndIf
  End Method
End Type

Type tInventoryItem
  Field name:String
  Field qty:Int
End Type

Cruis.In(Posted 2013) [#3]
thanks GFK...

I never used tmaps either, what else are they useful for? I am easily understanding your example and running through the Tmap module. Understanding made easy by your powerful and simple example.

One puzzle...am I intended to leave out the arrays? or just use the tmaps for checking if the object exists?

this wouldn't present issues with adding to a listbox would it?

GfK(Posted 2013) [#4]
No. Its exactly the same data, only better structured and easier to manage.

Cruis.In(Posted 2013) [#5]
sorry i edited mine. so no bothering with arrays.

Cruis.In(Posted 2013) [#6]
would it be better to use a function for create and make each item an actual object?

Mahan(Posted 2013) [#7]
If this thread is a pure inventory question the nature of the "container" (TList, TMap, array etc.) does not matter that much for what goes in to it. String/Object-reference etc.

But to make the items actual objects makes sense if you want the items to behave somewhat complex in the game (like in an RPG for instance)

EDIT: An interesting part of this is that you can make items, such as "bags", that actually take payloads of other items.