Issue Compiling on MacOS

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Issue Compiling on MacOS

Chroma(Posted 2013) [#1]
This is what i'm getting when I try to compile. Any ideas?

Building tempest
Compiling:tempest.bmx
sh: as: command not found
Build Error: Failed to assemble /Users/noelcole/Desktop/BlitzMax/samples/birdie/games/tempest/.bmx/tempest.bmx.gui.debug.macos.x86.s
Process complete

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#2]
XCode is installed?

Floyd(Posted 2013) [#3]
There have been some reports that command line tools are no longer installed by default with XCode. You may have to do that separately.

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#4]
Oh yeah… cool…

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/WhatsNewXcode/Articles/xcode_4_3.html

Chroma(Posted 2013) [#5]
Yeah that's it I'm assuming. I just installed the latest XCode. But I'm doing a search at Apple.com for the Command Line thing and it's not coming up.

Anyone have a link to it?

Floyd(Posted 2013) [#6]
Did you try Brucey's link? There's a section called "Command-Line Tools Are Optional".

Jesse(Posted 2013) [#7]
run Xcode from the applications folder

select :

Xcode -> Preferences ->Downloads->Components -> (install command line tools)

Last edited 2013

Chroma(Posted 2013) [#8]
There is no Preferences in the latest Xcode from the Appstore.

Jesse(Posted 2013) [#9]
There is!.

Last edited 2013

skidracer(Posted 2013) [#10]
I think it's now in the last tab of the Organizer wizard.

Jesse(Posted 2013) [#11]
well, I have lion and the latest Xcode 4.5.2, downloaded from the app store about six months ago and it looks exactly the same way.

Chroma(Posted 2013) [#12]
Finally found it...that menu above does come available until you create a new file and then minimize and maximize it... Gawd awful...

Chroma(Posted 2013) [#13]
Still doesn't work...oh well...guess I can't get directions from Blitz so I'm moving on...effing sad...

Chroma(Posted 2013) [#14]
I downloaded the command line tools from nov 2012 and installed it on my macbook pro but I still can't compile any exes. BRL PLEASE HELP ME...FFS

Last edited 2013

Chroma(Posted 2013) [#15]
Finally it works...some official clear installation info would be nice from BRL. Sorry, just from a customer point of view.

A link to the command line tools and instructions would be awesome.

Last edited 2013

Chroma(Posted 2013) [#16]
For the record...I've been stationed here in South Korea for 15 months. My fiancee is Korean (and she's BEAUTIFUL...like HOLY JESUS beautiful)...but I explained the situation here. And how I couldn't get help from BRL on how to make BlitzMax work with a new Xcode update. Her comment was "maybe they are lazy"...that's not my view because I know how hard Mark works...due to the programmers brotherhood. But non-promgrammers....who knows. Some clear documentation would be internationally welcomed.

Last edited 2013

GfK(Posted 2013) [#17]
I don't get why you're bitching at BRL? Go bitch at Apple for making XCode crap, because that's really what the problem is.

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#18]
I dunno GfK, surely BRL should monitor every change made to every release of every compiler on all platforms that BlitzMax is meant to support, and then, if required, add to some page somewhere what you need to do differently that had worked up-til-now.

Seems perfectly reasonable. I'm sure Skid hasn't got anything better to do ;-)

Chroma(Posted 2013) [#19]
Now you guys get it! ;)

But, if you're going to put yourself at the mercy of another dev tool, you should at least keep an eye on it and ensure it doesn't break your product so it "works" like it's supposed to.

Last edited 2013

Chroma(Posted 2013) [#20]
I don't get why you're bitching at BRL? Go bitch at Apple for making XCode crap, because that's really what the problem is.
Sure, ask Apple about a product that's not theirs. I'd rather ask here and endure the sarcasm from you guys. It's what most have to go through here when they ask for help...

Cruis.In(Posted 2013) [#21]
nothing to see but monkeys here, move along.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#22]
Sure, ask Apple about a product that's not theirs
...but it's perfectly fine to ask BRL about a product that's not theirs?
It's what most have to go through here when they ask for help...
but you went from asking, to making threats to leave (and didn't), then thinly veiled swearing and demanding help in capital letters. That isn't 'asking for help'. It's making yourself look like a right pranny who doesn't deserve any help.

Sorry, just from another customer's point of view.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#23]
but you went from asking, to making threats to leave (and didn't), then thinly veiled swearing and demanding help in capital letters. That isn't 'asking for help'. It's making yourself look like a right pranny who doesn't deserve any help.

...It's still in BRL's best interest to make sure their products continue to work on the supposedly supported platforms...

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#24]
...It's still in BRL's best interest to make sure their products continue to work on the supposedly supported platforms…

Which it does.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#25]
Which it does
Yes, it does. When it comes to Macs and Mac-related things I'm thicker than pig crap, but I got it to work and if I can, anybody can. Well, not quite everybody, it seems.

Chroma(Posted 2013) [#26]
I got it working just fine, but there were no clear instructions. That's all the complaint was about.

Apple changed Xcode (of which BlitzMax relies on to compile), and it "broke" BlitMax. A stickied post with instructions on how to fix the break would have sufficed.

People before me and people (I'm sure) after me will have this problem, become a bit frustrated, post here for help, endure the sarcasm, but in the end will get the help they needed. It's just plain fact.

For what it's worth, thanks for the help.