The MinGW Lottery

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/The MinGW Lottery

Brucey(Posted 2012) [#1]
I mean, how hard does it need to be to find one current distro which builds everything you need to build?

Good Grief !

The nuwen distro (GCC 4.7.2), is, unfortunately no good. It won't build Qt. It appears to build the other things I've thrown its way, but I need one, true compiler… and it ain't it.

I *may* have the latest TDM distro (4.7.1) working. It at least builds Qt okay. So, perhaps there's some hope.

I haven't the heart to try the "official" release, mainly because I can never seem to find the right page on sourceforge to download it. Maybe I'm getting on a bit…

Of course, your average Joe-coder can probably get away with using any of them, as long as they update their BlitzMax/bin and BlitzMax/lib files to match the distro. It's just when you want to get your hands dirty, that you also tend to get them burnt…

Bloody Hell…

Enter the MinGW lottery today, and find out if you are a winner!

Merry December Holidays! ;-)

GW(Posted 2012) [#2]
I feel your pain. This is one the serious issues I have with Bmax.
For me, the nuwen distro has had the smallest compatibility with 3rd party mods.
Sometimes I think I want to write a tool with a front end that will swap out different Mingw distros on command, but I just don't know enough about gcc to deal with bmax's custom libgcc.a file.
I hope you get some progress on this as i think more people have this issue than speak up on the forums.

Happy holidays!

GfK(Posted 2012) [#3]
I have numerous PCs and reinstalling an os and consequently mingw/blitzmax is always something i dread. Faffing on with getting it to install in the first place, environment variables, then more faffing to get it to compile c++ code AND getting it to play nice with third party mods. It's the single biggest job after a reinstall.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#4]
I've never had a problem with this one (4.7.1), and I've built wxWidgets off of it:

http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/

Last edited 2012

Grisu(Posted 2012) [#5]
On Windows 7 (64 Bit) I have had no issues with 4.7.2. so far.

Brucey(Posted 2012) [#6]
Well, it all seems to depend on what you are trying to do/use.

Nuwen 4.7.2 appears to have issues with tr1 compatibility, whereas TDM 4.7.1 doesn't.

rebootbug(Posted 2012) [#7]
It can indeed be frustrating which is why I ended up creating a little tool to help test MinGW versions

MINGW Selector
http://www.mediafire.com/?hv5qzsnfhg9iybo

This little tool was written to ease testing multiple MinGW installations using BlitzMax on windows.

While I have tested this tool and there is error checking present please backup your BlitzMax folder in case there are any problems, as I cannot be held responsible as this tool was written for my personal use and I use it myself to rebuild modules and simply thought I would share it with others.

Any questions, problems or suggestions let me know
rebootbug aka Brendan

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Russell(Posted 2013) [#8]
Certainly GCC is not the only game in town...

However, it is probably the best supported and most frequently updated (though I could be wrong on this).

What options do we have to make this problem go away? (Seems to be a recurring problem here).

Russell