Am I the only one who is upset over Blide service?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Am I the only one who is upset over Blide service?

Hardcoal(Posted 2012) [#1]
Ive purchased Blide some time ago.
and its ok + a good editor. but..

After half a year pass (on the basic version)
You just cant download your version.
I think this is a bad costumer service.
Also Even if you wont let your clients have the latest improvements,
you still need to provide bug fixes as a company.

besides I would not charge so much for an update.

Also website costumer login is not clear and annoying.

Ive purchased A Software that I cant download from the internet.
and if i dont have a backup on my computer its gone.

same to Jungle.. ( I dont know why jungle and blide are seperate editors to start with.. but thats another issue. i might not know what im talking about)

anyway! now blide is crashing! and i cant do nothing about it!
I dont want to approch by email everytime i have a problem.
I want a download service. and bug fixing. its not too much to ask

also if the update prices were descent (like 10$ per year)
i would gladly make an update.

thats it! now i need to try to fix this crashes!

Last edited 2012

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#2]
@Hardcoal: BLIde website does not provide a downloads service to expired downloads accounts because of technical limitations. I've told you several times that it's your responsibility to keep a copy of your downloads and, if you happen to lose your latest set-up file, I'll happily email it back to you again for free.
I would suggest you to get a dropbox account or similar. They're free. You can also use skydrive, or microsoft mesh.
Obviously users with valid active account can access the whole downloads section and get any file there. (and I repeat I can send you any of your licensed setups for free, but please, keep them as I can't spend all day sending setups to people).

Last edited 2012

JoshK(Posted 2012) [#3]
Wouldn't "Triple XXX" be XXXXXXXXX?

GfK(Posted 2012) [#4]
Ive purchased A Software that I cant download from the internet.
and if i dont have a backup on my computer its gone.
To be brutally honest, that's nobody's fault but your own.
Also website costumer login is not clear and annoying.
Not clear as in... what? Seems clear enough to me.

BlidePlus is dirt cheap, for what it does, and Manel always replies quickly to emails. I really can't believe you're complaining that it costs too much.

I'll tell you one thing, though. And this will stand you in good stead for the future - going public with lengthy, scathing moan-fests like this is not really going to get you very far in life. Do you speak to people in 'real life' like this? Get punched on the nose, much?

If it were me, and I got a snotty email like this from somebody, then they wouldn't even get a reply.

Manners cost nothing.

Hardcoal(Posted 2012) [#5]
No complaints to Manel I know he is Great.
The Truth I came to wipe this Thread. Didn't expect so quickly for responses.

I'm not so good at that but I apologize.

GfK Yea I do have some Issues in life but nope no punches till now..

Derron(Posted 2012) [#6]

BLIde website does not provide a downloads service to expired downloads accounts because of technical limitations

I just wanted to assist you (ziggy) with a reply but your phrase did change my mind.

There is no technical reason not to provide "expired downloads" ... technical reasons would be "not enough space on the server disc".
Logical reasons would be: "server scripts cannot handle it" - also known as "to lazy to program that easy to implement feature".

"Download-only" titles should be available for download as long as the lifetime of the product lets its customers expect an availability.
You (ziggy) just hurt yourself not providing the old downloadfiles... code that feature ONCE ... get rid of emails asking for downloads nearly FOREVER (only the "blind" not seeing the download link).

Customer service is a thing which may people lead to come back for other services/products you offer.

PS: it does not matter for what "price" a software is offered (money, your email address...).

bye
Ron

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#7]
Derron, Well the server has limited php execution time per script and it should handle slow downloads. If you know how to handle this please send me an email and.I'll be happy to add this feature.

Derron(Posted 2012) [#8]
for what do you use php?

Please dont say you are "passthru"-ing the files...
This just is memory-overkill.

Easiest implementation:
- user requests file
- script creates temporary copy of the requested file (and eg. injects the customer data so copyright infringements are caught...)
- script now "redirects" the user ( header(...) )
- user is happy downloading

---
- cronjob is run every 30/60 Minutes (=%interval&)
- cronjob-script cleans out the temporary copies if older than %interval% or "availability"-timer

If you are not able to run cronjobs: implement a
if( rand(0,100)<=YOURPERCANTAGE) { require_once("cronjobfile.php");}

cronjob hint: $ageInSeconds = time() - filemtime($copiedfile);

In case you are using your "fopen" or "passthru"-approach to limit the access to a file: in case a user downloaded the file, he can "copy" it without your scripts interventing...
In case you want to "count" the download amount: just use your script as link, increase the count and then redirect ( header() ) to the corresponding file.

There are even more approaches.
Eg. you like to provide links like:
"mydomain.tld/files/setup.exe"
But you want custom data being injected.

place a .htaccess in your htdocs-root
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} (.+)\files
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ files.php?fromDir=$1 [QSA] #QSA = append ?get=parameters&and=others
    #or: RewriteRule ^(.*)$ files.php?fromDir=$1 [L] #end here and ignore further rewrite rules 
</IfModule>

This does the following: if you reference a thing within a "files"-directory and it is missing (or no file), the "files.php"-script is run (and given params are set).
You may call this "mixing virtual and real directories".

If you store a "readme.txt" within
"mydomain.tld/files/" you can access it with
"mydomain.tld/files/readme.txt" and it is displayed without script usage.

now imagine you store the readme.txt within
"mydomain.tld/_mysecret_files" (or outside of htdocs - so it is not reachable from outside)
if a user now tries to call:
"mydomain.tld/files/readme.txt"
the script
"mydomain.tld/files.php?fromDir=files/readme.txt"
is called.

within files.php you could then do the methods I explained at the start of my posting.
Eg.

$requestedFilePath = rawurldecode( isset($_GET["fromDir"]) ?  $_GET["fromDir"] : "" );
//remove "files/" from param - they are fake
$requestedFilePath = str_replace('files/', '', $requestedFilePath);
//... your other file checks to avoid /../../etc/passwd and other things
// -> easiest is to have only level1 subdirectories (not files/myA/myB/myC/file.zip)
//so you can do:
$requestedFilePath = explode("/", $requestedFilePath);
//subdir given?
if(count($requestedFilePath)>0) {
  //validate directory
  $validExtraChars = array('-', '_'); 
  if(!ctype_alnum(str_replace($validExtraChars, '', $requestedFilePath[0]))) { 
    die('illegal characters found in file request'); 
  }
  //assign file
  $requestedFile = $requestedFilePath[1];
  $requestedFilePath = $requestedFilePath[0];
}else{
  //assign file
  $requestedFile = $requestedFilePath[0];
  $requestedFilePath = '';
}

//check filename for invalid characters
if(!preg_match('/^(?:[a-z0-9_-]|\.(?!\.))+$/iD', $requestedFile)) {
   die('illegal characters found in file request'); 
}

//proceed with your file
//add "/" to path if one is given
$requestedFilePath = ($requestedFilePath<>""?$requestedFilePath."/":"");

//script variables
$myHomeDir = "/users/ziggy/htdocs/_mysecretfilesdir" //absolute path

//respond if file not existing
if(!file_exists($myHomeDir."/".$requestedFilePath.$requestedFile))
  die("file not found.");

//process your file here
//eg. redirect to the processed file
//or copy it ( copy(old,new) )

above php-code is untested (just written it down) but should help with your problem. Code of .htaccess is working fine here in live environments.

bye
Ron

edit: some spelling errors corrected

Last edited 2012

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#9]
@Ron: Thanks! I like the temporary copy approach. I'm not at all a PHP coder, so I appreciate this easy implementation a lot. Will definitivelly be looking at it soon.

kfprimm(Posted 2012) [#10]
ziggy, here is a much simpler solution that I think would work better for your situation:

http://www.jasny.net/articles/how-i-php-x-sendfile/

Derron(Posted 2012) [#11]
ziggy mentioned "limited php execution time per script" this mostly means, it is no root server.
If it is a managed thing or just some webspace (no vhost, no vserver no root...) ziggy wont be able to load additional apache modules.

Also... xsendfile is not working the way a "copy protection"-style works:
if your php script is using xsendfile the script wont know WHEN a download has finished (code execution continues after using the xsendfile-part).

But like said: ziggy wont be able to use xendfile (except it is loaded by default which I do not believe...).

bye
Ron

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#12]
@Derron: Yes, it's not a root server. I wish it was but I'm somehow limited. The idea of coping the requested files in the way described sounds like a very nice and viable option, so I'll be implementing it sometime soon (I'm on a terrible workload now on other areas) but it's definitively a very good way to allow this on a shared server like BLIde one. It's been very appreciated.

Hardcoal(Posted 2012) [#13]
Ziggy You said that you will send me a copy if Ill ask..

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#14]
I haven't got any email from you.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#15]
(and I repeat I can send you any of your licensed setups for free, but please, keep them as I can't spend all day sending setups to people).

Can you send me BLide, too then? My hard drive failed recently and lost everything.

EDIT:
captainwicker1996@...

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#16]
I think you'll have to email through the proper channels, with proof that you actually paid for it.

Ringo(Posted 2012) [#17]
I sent a company 20 textured 3d models,but they swore they never recieved them.

TRUST NO ONE.

Last edited 2012

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#18]
I think you'll have to email through the proper channels, with proof that you actually paid for it.

Both Hardcoal and Captain Wicker Soft have already sent me apropriate emails and installers have been sent. just to let everybody know, as this has become somehow public here. While I update the whole server downloads thing, anyone requiring a download with an expired downloads license, just email me.
i'll add this service to the official websites soon. I'm on a huge workload right now that does not allow me to make changes on the server, but I'll get to it in some weeks time.

Hardcoal(Posted 2012) [#19]
Good luck

Matt Merkulov(Posted 2012) [#20]
Am I the only one who is upset over Blide service?

No, at least check me in too.
I think there are a lot more silent angry users.
And just skip hysterical posts of blide-boy named himself Gfk.

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#21]
No, at least check me in too.
I think there are a lot more silent angry users.
And just skip hysterical posts of blide-boy named himself Gfk.
Ziggy is blide-boy. I am merely God.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#22]
hysterical posts of blide-boy named himself Gfk

Is that difficult to stay away from personal attacks? I'm sure you can do best.

I've already stated I'm imporiving this ASAP. If any admin can lock this thread before it becomes an open war about me, Gfk, or any other user here.

I love when thinks keep a little of elegance and good mood. I would love to invite everyone to not forget this. I know very well it's impossible to keep everyone happy and I accept it. I also listen to suggestions and usually implement them if I find they're good improvements. That's it. I don't think there is anything else to discuss here related to BlitzMax programing, or BLIde usage in general.

So to sumarize: Hardcoal was upset becouse the blide.org website did not provide downloads for people with an expired updates license. I'm adding this ASAP. Also, this licenses are not available any more, so not a big deal. He's made his point, everybody can read it. I've replied, got some useful information and assistance that I'll take into account. so...
please, leave anything else, anything personal, out of this forums. I'm sure all of us want them clean and respectful.

Hardcoal(Posted 2012) [#23]
Im for peace.
Sometimes you go nuts and regret it. that was one of this times.

TaskMaster(Posted 2012) [#24]
Personally, if I buy a piece of software and a couple years later I lose my download, and find that the version I paid for is no longer readily available, but I can get it by emailing the developer, I am fine with that.

I backup my stuff so it doesn't happen, but when it does, I am happy just to be able to get it back. If I have to email somebody, that is fine. And being able to email the actual guy who wrote the software and get a response is good service in my book.

So, I do not know what you guys are getting on about. This is one of the problems with today;s society with people not being responsible for themselves and expecting others to hold their hands. Did every kid in your school get a chance to be student of the month too?

GaryV(Posted 2012) [#25]
I backup my stuff so it doesn't happen, but when it does, I am happy just to be able to get it back. If I have to email somebody, that is fine. And being able to email the actual guy who wrote the software and get a response is good service in my book.

I could not agree more. Ziggy has been very calm and respectful when dealing with the squeaky wheels. Kudos to Ziggy.

I do not own Blide, but Ziggy coming to my home and doing personal backups of the product as part of the purchase price would not be something I expect if I bought the product.

BLaBZ(Posted 2012) [#26]
Ps. I frigin love BLIDe.. and Ziggy too

Nest(Posted 2012) [#27]
Just wanted to post to say I was really impressed with the level of support Ziggy gave me when I was having troubles with my copy of BLIde. For the price, BLIde is a brilliant product.

Chalky(Posted 2012) [#28]
I frigin love BLIDe.. and Ziggy too

For the price, BLIde is a brilliant product

This just about sums up how I feel about BLIde and its support. Whenever I had problems, ziggy was always polite and fast to respond - even when I had done something embarrassingly stupid and blamed it on his software.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#29]
It's too bad IDEal wasn't open-sourced, BMax support could have easily been added. :(

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#30]
easily

Are you sure about that?

I have the feeling that half the reason IDEal works as well as it does is because it's asked to do something comparatively very simple.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#31]
How hard could it actually be to make max's bmk with it? (hypothetically)

BLaBZ(Posted 2012) [#32]
lol I like your banner Wicker, "5 members!"

GfK(Posted 2012) [#33]
>>>lol I like your banner Wicker, "5 members!"

...and at least one of em, is him!

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#34]
Blide and Jungle rock. If you are a professional dev you can't do without them, even if you are not full-time, they are still must-haves.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#35]
...and at least one of em, is him!

lol I like your banner Wicker, "5 members!"

RRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! >:|

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#36]
Hi, just to let everybody know that users with expired accounts can download all their old purchased files from the customer's section of the BLIde website. Once you log in, just select the desired download, and a link will be generated to you so you can download the desired file properly.
I'll be adding this to jungleide site soon too (it'll be a bit more complex, so it'll take a bit longer)

Banshee(Posted 2013) [#37]
As a prospective client who is deciding between either getting a new IDE relatively soon or soldiering on with the community edition and then jumping to a new language altogether for my next project - I thought you might like some feedback on why I've not bought yet, Ziggy.

My laptop is (was) mid-range, it has an i5 processor. This is below your minimum specifications so I am unsure whether to bother downloading and trying again.

6 Months is shorter than the development time of a single product, and 75 Euro is exactly 75 Euro more than I've ever spent on an IDE before which makes me feel uncomfortable. I would want to know that my purchase would cover me at least until I have completed 1 project. My current is one year of planning, prep and experimentation in and a further month of actual dev so far, for about 10% final complete. I'd say I was at least 6 months away from finishing, and possibly more.

SVN integration is not listed as a feature, and neither is Git (although I use SVN for historical reasons), which makes me question whether actually paying for an IDE is going to give me something more than free ones. I don't know how anyone works without some form of VC and most free IDE have some kind of VC built in (eg Netbeans) or as a plugin (eg Sublime/Eclipse). This is absolute minimum requirement to be an IDE (personal view).

3D preview doesnt support enough formats, I do use b3d, but also fbx and ocassionally 3ds. Only X and B3D are listed. Whilst this lack of support doesnt in itself bother me, it adds to my questioning of the completeness of the product and level of developer activity, fbx is hardly new and it is an emerging standard.

For a long time until I looked at IDE's more closely a couple of months ago I assumed it was for Blitz Plus because it's named wrong :P

Anyway, I thought that might help a little. At the moment i'm still on the fence over sorting out the IDE issue, i'm using the community edition for my current project whilst wondering whether to even stay with Blitz for my next one - I'm disillusioned more by the debugging in multi-threaded apps and have found issues in all the 3rd party 3D engines I've tried so I would like an engine with a company behind it rather than an individual. And neither of these really relate to the IDE. :)

Happy new year.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#38]
Buying a 6 month licence only means you get updates for 6 months. Whatever version you have at the end of that period will work forever.

My desktop has an i5 CPU and BLIde works great.

Just get it. I promise you'll never go back.

Derron(Posted 2013) [#39]

Just get it. I promise you'll never go back.

I have used it when my project was simpler and smaller. Was quite nice.
Switched soon to easier editors (notepad++ or now geany on linux) as I prefered to spread my code in different files. I ended up having more than 30 and that wasn't allowed with the lite/free-version (atm still 30+ files with over 1mb of source code + "module"-sources which are svn'ed too).

What I liked the most on Blide was autocompletition and code folding. Ladder one I got with all other editors I used, autocompletition only in a simple (remember what you typed-style) way. But as the one knowing his code this is not that bad as it sounds. Intellisense is good if you are a foreigner to a project and are still in a fiddle-in-situation.

For the things _I_ need, 79 is way too much. People who want to save time (publisher -> icons etc) or are uncommon with blitzmax should consider it, others may also take a look at other ide/editors.

Startup time is also a thing to consider if "just adding 2 lines of code". But this is really only my personal point of view.

Nethertheless blide is a great product - but not for all of us - that is true for all products (our games our apps ...).

bye
Ron

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#40]
An IDE choice is very personal. Try out the demo and see it for yourself, so you can find out if it fullfills your needs. BLIde does lots of things and saves you dev time. It's inspired by .NET Ides, so if you've used C# or VB.Net you may feel somehow a bit more "at home" than using the community eddition. All I can say is, just try it out.

Banshee(Posted 2013) [#41]
Nah, it's got no SVN integration - as I mentioned before if i'm going to use an editor that frustrates me then it may as well be a free one with Tortoise for SVN.

And as I mentioned earlier that's an objection to buying, "just get [buy] it" didn't swing me.

And if SVN is promised, will it arrive inside of 6 months?...

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#42]
And if SVN is promised, will it arrive inside of 6 months?...

It is not promissed. But you should not worry as current license is lifetime. There are no 6 months updates licenses any more. That said, if I ever were to add any version control system to BLIde, it would be Mercurial instead of SVN or Github, as I really don't like SVN and I have to confess I'm a bit of a Mercurial fan boy. That's what I like using. Anyway, this is not happening anytime soon, so if you want an IDE with an integrated version control system, you can write your own BLIde Plugin (BLIde has a very powerful SDK) or just find something else.

That said, those are BLIde minimum system specs: http://www.blide.org/?p=158 I don't know where did you get than a i5 was under minimum specs, it's way over them.

Being honest, why do you need a VC system on an IDE when you're using Tortoise? I would understand it if you were using the command line tools only, but using tortoise I can't see a single reason to have a plugin for it on a IDE (I'm being 100% in this question, I really don't get it).

Banshee(Posted 2013) [#43]
In regards the minimum specs I thought I got it from your web site - but I just had another look and I can't see it, perhaps I made an error (which I am prone to do especially on a late finish like last night) in which case I apologise if I confused anyone other than myself.

Regards integration of SVN. I've been spoilt :P

I use BlitzMax for fun and for making games which is my hobby, but a little over 5 years ago my dreams became reality when I became a professional developer, and now i'm even "Head of Development" which is all kinds of dream job cool...

Although I do occasionally use Blitz for professional purposes I mostly work in php, databases, javascript and ye olde html+css. For this I use a variety of editors depending upon my mood, the project, and whether a crow flies west at 3pm on a Sunday.

For web development they're all free, and they all have integrated version control except the crudest ones (Notepad++ and Pspad for instance), and what a revolution it is to have! Especially for a coder like me who uses multiple wide screens and still doesn't have enough window space to display everything!

It's annoying hitting the desktop button and shrinking all those windows, and often I've multiple explorer windows open. Having the version control integrated into the file explorer which is onscreen anyway just makes so much sense, it's a small annoyance not to have it, but it irks me every time I use an editor without one that I've got to fiddle about.

I hate fiddling. I like things that just work. Committing to SVN can occur multiple times an hour, and at least several times a day. So that little irk just builds and builds into a "grr". And once something becomes a "grr", you start checking the feature list before you try a new IDE to make sure it's got the things you want.

Everyone is different, for me, I like my VC built into the IDE.

Muttley(Posted 2013) [#44]
Personally I've always found version control stuff built in to IDEs severely wanting (thinking of both Visual Studio and Eclipse plugins here) and tend to prefer just using the native command line tools for whichever version control system I'm using (mostly Mercurial these days). It's far more flexible that way.

Hezkore(Posted 2013) [#45]
I guess it's safe to say that Blide won't be free or even get a drop in price anytime soon? Heh...

Amon(Posted 2013) [#46]
I am merely God.

I KNEW it...........!!!