What 3d engines for max aren't dead

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/What 3d engines for max aren't dead

Leon Drake(Posted 2012) [#1]
As the title states..

Just curious if anyone has any input as to what 3d engines available for max are still maintained.

I'm pretty sure Leadwerks is still going but that's all i know of.

GaryV(Posted 2012) [#2]
MiniB3D still gets played with by some people and sees an update here and there.

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#3]
GMan's Irrlicht wrapper seems to be alive for the moment.

Irrlicht itself is well and thriving, so it's probably a safe bet because even if the wrapper slows or stops development, the core will be maintained for some time.

Leon Drake(Posted 2012) [#4]
yea i was actually considering using irrlicht. i was using it before on another project but stopped because of life circumstances.

Gabriel(Posted 2012) [#5]
Isn't Xors3D still going? I thought MadJack was using it for Tank Universal 2.

(For the record, Truevision3D is deader than a dead dog's bone buried down a blind alley off a dead-end street in a ghost town. Man, is it dead.)

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#6]
Take a look at SoftPixel engine, it's been active for a while (and has grown to an interesting stage, such as having support for DX11, Android and iOS):

http://softpixelengine.sourceforge.net/features.html

You'll need to create a BMax wrapper for it. Some work has been done already (in this thread), but the wrapper has been updated since then and you'll need to update the module to take advantage of whatever's been improved. The author's made a DLL version of this engine himself, and that's what you need to use\call with BMax.

This engine's by Lukas, an independent developer.
It's definitely much more alive than Gabe's TV3D up there. My sympathies.

Last edited 2012

Zethrax(Posted 2012) [#7]
It would be great if Lucas came up with a new version of of the Softpixel wrapper with better documentation for the commands that don't have a Blitz3D equivalent, and also better physics support. He wrapped a few of the Newton physics commands in his wrapper, but they're a bit sparse. I think the raycast stuff was missing too, which makes it useless for my purposes.

The newer code-only version of his engine seems to be fairly well documented using Doxygen, which is cool.

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#8]
Wow, SoftPixel's really grown up since I last looked at it. Having mobile support is always an interesting and valuable feature; even if you start out developing in BlitzMax, a future port would be made much easier by that.

Leon Drake(Posted 2012) [#9]
Very cool indeed