Windows 8 & maxgui?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Windows 8 & maxgui?

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#1]
Has anyone had any news regarding windows 8 & maxgui apps?
My spriteforge app has been reported as closing just after window creation on win 8.

Unfortunately I have no windows 8 to try it myself.

Last edited 2012

JoshK(Posted 2012) [#2]
The Leadwerks editor works with no issues in Windows 8 desktop mode. Of course it won't run in their shitty mobile web page Metro thing, but no real programs will.

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#3]
Hmm, ok thanks. I guess i will have to obtain 8, build it and find out....
....poor me :(

Last edited 2012

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#4]
Of course it won't run in their shitty mobile web page Metro thing, but no real programs will.

Sometimes I wonder if you will ever say something true about windows 8 Some info you mayu find interesting if you ever want your engine to be compatible with Windows 8 or windows Phone 8 or just if you're interesting on knowing what's Windows 8 style applications:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/262151/Visual-Cplusplus-and-WinRT-Metro-Some-fundamentals

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh441569.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/eternalcoding/archive/2012/08/13/creating-a-winrt-component-using-c-cx-deform-a-direct2d-effect-toolkit.aspx

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#5]
The Leadwerks editor works with no issues in Windows 8 desktop mode. Of course it won't run in their shitty mobile web page Metro thing, but no real programs will.

Honestly Josh... you could have ended it after the first sentence. You're turning into someone who HAS to bring some Microsoft-hatred into practically every single post.

And to answer the question, MaxGUI works just fine on Windows 8.

Wiebo(Posted 2012) [#6]
It's true though, Metro sucks :)

JoshK(Posted 2012) [#7]
I know, I just can't help myself. I despise Metro because it means the Microsoft that put out products I liked will never return.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#8]
But Josh, honestly, you know I respect you a lot as a coder and seeing you spreading wrong information is such a shame. You can say how much you dislike (or hate) Microsoft Windows 8 environment, but I would expect you to do so without inventing what Windows 8 is.
The "metro" is definitively not " their sh***ty mobile web page " It's not a web page, it's not necesarely mobile, and it can run propper applications such as Office, email, Internet Explorer 10, Chrome, People, and I expect it to get lots and lots of more applications soon. And they're not web pages, unless you considere a C++ native written application a website.

Russell(Posted 2012) [#9]
I have to admit myself, though, that I have no desire whatsoever to upgrade to Windows 8 based on demos I've seen of it. I'm sure the Metro interface is great on touch screen devices (probably its intended target), but it just doesn't excite me (unlike when Windows 7 was introduced - which I consider to be Microsoft's best OS so far).

Of course, eventually we will all be forced to upgrade at some point, if we want to be able to run the latest software...

Russell

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#10]
I think I have found my problem. My spriteforge App is written in a mix of max and b3d (where one exe executes another with a saved data bridge)

It seems windows 8 no longer allows apps to run other apps :/

Anyone got any experience with this or a workaround?

Edit; if I right click on the app on the wall I can run as administrator. This fixes it but it is hardly sweet.

Last edited 2012

col(Posted 2012) [#11]
Maybe a manifest file? I don't know the language order of which code opens which but if you're using a BMax generated exe to open the B3D one then have you tried this method?

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#12]
Anyone got any experience with this or a workaround?

Does Windows 8 allow you to switch off the UAC?

EDIT: User Account Control. Usually found in control panel's user account settings.

Last edited 2012

col(Posted 2012) [#13]
Hey Captain,

Are you still asking? Your edit suggests that you've found it, but yes you can adjust it via the control panel -> User Accounts -> Change User Account Settings. You have the same 4 levels of control. Looks like it protects at the same levels as previous versions.

Tani(Posted 2012) [#14]
@Russell - I never got Vista for example, so it's quite possible Win8 might end up as another Vista that most people will skip. ^^; At least I plan to hold out until Win9 or something comes out. Though partly because I upgraded to Win7 this year and want to get the most out of that OS.