Compile Platform?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Compile Platform?

Robby(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi guys! Had a quick question. I am making a project for both windows and mac, and it runs fine on each. Here's what I was wondering:

If I compile my app in Vista 64, will it run on Windows 7 and 8?

Likewise, if I compile for mac in Leapord 10.5.8 will it work on
Snow Leapord, Lion, and Mountain Lion? Or do I need to compile on a bunch of different operating systems??

Any help appreciated! -Robert

GfK(Posted 2012) [#2]
It'll run on Windows 7 for sure. Blitzmax will still build a 32-bit executable even though you have a 64-bit OS. So it'll work on pretty much any version of windows down to XP. As for Windows 8, that's uncharted territory for me at the moment so I won't answer that one.

As for the Mac, I'm 99% sure that a Blitzmax app will work on any OS from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion (and possibly earlier than Snow Leopard if anybody's still using that).

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
if I compile for mac in Leapord 10.5.8 will it work on
Snow Leapord, Lion, and Mountain Lion?

Not quite. Leopard apps will not work on Lion/ML and Lion/ML apps will not work on Leopard because of Apple's Xcode's "improvements", However Snow Leopard apps work on Leopard and sometimes Lion/ML.
it'll work on pretty much any version of windows down to XP

Down to Win95 actually. ;-)
Windows 8

You have to launch the apps from the "desktop app" or whatever it is that microcrap has renamed it to. ;P

BlitzSupport(Posted 2012) [#4]

Down to Win95 actually. ;-)

... possibly; BlitzMax officially supports a minimum of Windows 2000 (NT5). I believe the limiting part is mainly Windows' Unicode functions, so it *might* possibly work on earlier versions, depending on what features are used, but you should really assume NT5-based OSes and up.

I finally have to wonder, though... is anyone really still using Windows 9x/Me? Most web browsers won't even work on anything less than XP these days and I'm pretty sure the web is the main point for all 'normal' users out there...

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#5]
It requires a Windows with Unicode support, so Win95 is absolutely out of the box. But who cares? Also, they run winderfuly well on windows 8 desktop, but they won't run on Windows 8 RT