MinGW question

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/MinGW question

*(Posted 2012) [#1]
I am using Vista Ultimate atm and BlitzMax 1.48 the IDE shows i have gcc 4.6.1 and g++ 4.6.1 and the path as C:\mingw but I just get:
Building breakout
Compiling:breakout.bmx
Build Error: failed to compile E:/BlitzMax/samples/breakout/breakout.bmx
Process complete

every time I try to compile anything, everything is installed and setup as it should be but nothing will compile, does 1.48 support the later versions of mingw or are we still running on outdated 7.2 software?

Henri(Posted 2012) [#2]
Hello,
the MinGW version that comes with Blitzmax is 4.6.1 (the 7.2 package). In theory you don't need external MinGW to compile examples as by default Blitz uses it's internal MinGW libraries and gcc compiler. I notice that your Blitz installation resides in E drive and MinGW in C drive. If all else fails you could try to install them both on C drive or move Blitzmax folder to C drive and recompile all modules. Make sure you have user variable named MinGW with value C:\MinGW and C:\MinGW\bin is added in PATH system variable.

-Henri

Henri(Posted 2012) [#3]
Oh by the by, I wouldn't try to update to any other MinGW package at the moment because this seems to be most stable version I have tried.

-Henri

GfK(Posted 2012) [#4]
I had all sorts of problems with the latest versions of mingw from nuwen.net. Had to revert to distro 8.

*(Posted 2012) [#5]
I have it all installed and it shows in the IDE but I still get build errors, will try distro eight as gfk said.

Oh and having it all on C: does not resolve the problem, I dont a fresh install and then tried it and get the same error.

Henri(Posted 2012) [#6]
Nice to know that Nuwen site still hosts MinGW.

EdzUp:
is this something that happened resently (started getting errors all of a sudden) ? If so what changed ?

-Henri

*(Posted 2012) [#7]
I installed Windows Vista and all the updates, then installed BlitzMax and MinGW (being very careful to setup the enviroment variables etc as I have always done for windows installations) and this time it chooses not to work.

I have been trawling through the Blitz Forum trying to work out why it doesnt work even looking for the '1.48' update information which isnt on the forum the 1.47 update post is there but 1.48 seems to have slipped by the forum post for some reason.

I just wanted to do a prototype in max but I cant be arsed to keep playing around trying to get something that should work as it always has done. So I will look elsewhere to do the prototype.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#8]
After you install mingw it's always advisable to rebuild modules. Getting Blitzmax and mingw to play nice after an OS reinstall always takes more time than getting anything else working. Sure it's a pain in the ass but you know it's worth it in the end.

*(Posted 2012) [#9]
Also fails with a cant find CreateProcess error then the Build error, all I want is a language that you install and code with. BlitzMax on OSX does this to some extent as it requires XCode, why cant we have the tools required be part of the BlitzMax install this would get rid of the problem entirely?

Henri(Posted 2012) [#10]
I would probably try to eliminate possibilities and uninstall both MinGW and blitzmax, do reboot and install newest Blitzmax alone and see if the examples work and if they do one would know it's strictly MinGW issue.

-Henri

Floyd(Posted 2012) [#11]
why cant we have the tools required be part of the BlitzMax install this would get rid of the problem entirely?

As far as I know that's the way it is. You need MinGW to build modules. But just compiling ordinary BlitzMax code should work "out of the box".

I have MinGW installed. But if I rename my \MinGW folder, so it wouldn't be found when building a BlitzMax program, I can still build and run breakout.

It's okay to have multiple installs of BlitzMax. My first try would be to install again to C:\BlitzMax. Don't rebuild modules. Then try something like breakout.

Henri(Posted 2012) [#12]
Could also be Vista thing. Maybe User Account Control needs to be disabled.

-Henri

*(Posted 2012) [#13]
Obscurely enough this thread solution:( http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=98008#1142863 ) seems to help it oompile I can at least compile things now and they run.

FYI I am using MingW 9.4 now with it which seems to be working much better for me than 7.2 which was the official nod version.