Permission Denied - Windows 7

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Permission Denied - Windows 7

Richard Betson(Posted 2012) [#1]
I've noticed that if I compile to quickly after running a compiled app I get a file permission denied. The compiled application is not running when I recompile so it's got to be Windows 7. I have to wait about 10-20+ seconds or so after the running compiled app is closed before I can compile.

The error looks like this:

Linking:phoenixss_client_a85_d.exe
C:/BlitzMax145/bin/ld.exe: cannot open output file C:/Programming/Phoenix_SS/phoenixss_client_a85_d.exe: Permission denied
Build Error: Failed to link C:/Programming/Phoenix_SS/phoenixss_client_a85_d.exe

Any work around?

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#2]
Maybe add your dev folder to the ignore list of your AV

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#3]
I too have that issue sometimes... and I don't have any AV or some stuff installed. It's pretty weird all right - so far I have not found a workaround, other than to wait for a few moments.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#4]
I get it, also. I do have MSE running, but it doesn't bother me enough to make me want to do anything about it. As long as quickbuild is on, just hit F5 again and it runs straight away.

col(Posted 2012) [#5]
I've noticed this too but it only seems to happen for me with multi-threaded apps, and I also had it with Vista. I never looked into it though.

Richard Betson(Posted 2012) [#6]
I have no idea what is causing it but it got worse on the last Windows 7 update or two. I thought it might be MSE but it still does it with disabled real-time protection, excluded process and excluded file(s)/Dir(s).

What ever it is, so frustrating when debugging trying to recompile quickly only to have to wait.

BTW, I'm not compiling threaded. And it only affects the compiled exe file when compiler is linking.

Last edited 2012

TomToad(Posted 2012) [#7]
Ran into this recently myself. I actually tried to compile the code once, but had mistyped a .png name causing an "accessing null object" error (or something along those lines) when I called DrawImage(). I fixed the error, but then kept getting the permission denied error message. Turns out, the first run of the program actually never terminated. Brought up task manager with CTRL-SHIFT-ESC, and under the Processes tab, saw the program running. Just had to click End Process and everything compiled normally again.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#8]
Windows UAC (User Access Controls) can prevent the creation of .exe's in some folders depending on their permissions. Try disabling UAC, and see if the issue goes away.

Richard Betson(Posted 2012) [#9]
"Try disabling UAC, and see if the issue goes away"

I'll let ya know.

*(Posted 2012) [#10]
Some windows platforms do this as it hasnt finished writing to the file, or is doing something to the file. I used to have something similar on Novell netware where if one user was using the file then you couldnt access it until they finished, with the advent of sharing it was sorted.

However the sharing issue remains if you wish to use a file quickly after its creation. Lets hope its not a sign of ya harddisk breaking down as that also could be a sign.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#11]
Could also be an antivirus program being too aggressive, preventing the modification of an existing .exe

BlitzSupport(Posted 2012) [#12]
There was a similar problem here. Try disabling any anti-virus programs, of course, but also see my post there, as I had a similar problem caused by having turned off a particular service.

Richard Betson(Posted 2012) [#13]
Right on...

UAC off was no help, and lots of other extra processes appeared in the task manager with UAC off. Whats that about?

Richard Betson(Posted 2013) [#14]
Hi,

After living with this for six months I found a fix.

You will have to disable "Windows Search". The application "SearchIndexer.exe" is the problem. You can do this in control panel and select "Programs and Features" then select "Turn Windows Features on or off", then deselect/turn off "Window Search"

Then you will need to shut off Windows UAC, otherwise it will ask for permission to run the compiled application every time.

Windows Search sucks anyway and SearchIndexer.exe can be a CPU resource hog. Everything is running great and the above problem is gone. Yea. :)

EDIT: Windows start up is so much faster now, best move I've made this week. :)