BlitzMax Metro App?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BlitzMax Metro App?

Tachyon(Posted 2012) [#1]
So, we now know that only officially MS certified Metro Apps will be allowed on Windows 8 App Store.

Has anyone read what that will entail? Will it be possible for a BlitzMax game to be certified as a Metro App?

*(Posted 2012) [#2]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh749939.aspx

it appears there is a LOT to certification :s

Tachyon(Posted 2012) [#3]
Maybe Ziggy can help us! How about adding a "Metro compliant" option to the publish function in BLIde? =D

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#4]
@Tachyon: I think the application has to be built with latest Microsoft Visual C++ and/or C# or JavaScript. All them leave BlitzMax "out". Maybe we can create a "launcher" but I'm not sure how it'll play on Windows RT as it will be a Desktop app on an OS that does not has desktop support.
All in all, I think it won't be easy to allow the creation of WinRT applications with current BlitzMax version. I'm not sure if a metro driver could be done for the brl modules. But apart from this, there are other areas such as sandboxing of apps that would require a bit more than just adding a certificate

GfK(Posted 2012) [#5]
Am I correct in thinking Blitzmax apps will work fine in Windows 8, and it's just the Win 8 App Store that's going to be a problem?

JoshK(Posted 2012) [#6]
Why would you want to? Either MS will drop their retard OS or they will be destroyed. Metro's existence is a crime against nature.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#7]
@Gfk: Windows 8 support two kind of application:
-Windows 8 applications: Those are the ones that run on the Start Screen)
-Desktop Applcations: Those are the ones that run on the Desktop.

Desktop applications will only be compatible with the complete intel-based version of windows 8. ARM based version (Windows RT) won't be able to run regular desktop application

So, all in all:
BlitzMax will be compatible with Windows 8, in the desktop mode, but not with windows 8 style applications.

@Joshk: Windows Phone has increased its sales since the Metro interface was introduced on Windows Phone 7, as it seems its working for Microsoft, It does not look like something Microsoft is ditching anytime soon. It has a place where it works. We don't know yet whatever will happen on the comsumer's market and in the Tablets and Slates market when the whole thing goes on sale. Maybe you're right and it wont work there, maybe you're wrong. There are professional estimations in both directions, but the Microsoft Surface has got lots of attention, so I think it can sell quite a few units, maybe comparable to some well known Android tablets. We'll see... whatever it happens, it'll be interesting to see.

Metro's existence is a crime against nature.
you talk about Metro as if it were C++ !! XD

John G(Posted 2012) [#8]
Let's see if I understand the late 2012 Microsoft game plan:
(1) Win Phone 8 only runs on ARM and Intel phones -- not tablets or PCs.
(2) Win RT only runs on ARM tablets, convertibles and possibly laptops.
(3) Win 8 Pro only runs on Intel PCs and laptops, possibly convertibles.

BlitzMax games should run on Win 8 Pro without modification, but possibly not acceptable to the MS App Store.

Please refine...

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#9]
More or less...
To be a bit more precise:
Win Phone 8 only runs on ARM and Intel phones -- not tablets or PCs.
That's correct for ARM phones, not sure about intel phones.
(2) Win RT only runs on ARM tablets, convertibles and possibly laptops.
And in any computer-like device based on ARM. Definitively it'll be compatible with laptops running ARM processors, but also with anything that can be built based on ARM technologies as a multimedia TV or the like (as you have now them with Android)
(3) Win 8 Pro only runs on Intel PCs and laptops, possibly convertibles.
Convertibles and Tablets are in the list of supported devices. You may take a look to the awesome Microsoft surface. It looks like a properly designed tablet (at last!) with a complete OS: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx There will be a Windows RT version running on ARM but also an Intel-based version with Windows 8 Pro

Last edited 2012