How popular/useful is MaskBlend?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/How popular/useful is MaskBlend?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2012) [#1]
I want to know how popular or useful the MaskBlend drawing mode is. This is used in combination with alpha testing to do things like:

a) don't draw one specific color which represents a background (can be the same thing as alphablending if you make alpha=0, but maybe a bit faster?)

b) only drawing pixels whose alpha value is above a certain threshold (is this really that useful in practical applications?)

I'm considering dropping these features from my app and am willing to do so (because it'll save me a bunch of code) if it doesn't really have any relevance to modern 2D games anymore. Especially given alphablending is fast on modern hardware and most sprites etc are no longer limited to <=256 colors. Who would want hard-edged sprites when you can have antialiasing alphablend?

Last edited 2012

ima747(Posted 2012) [#2]
I have never used mask blend. Personally I find it FAR easier to work with alpha channels in my graphics and get better 1/1 throughput when I'm developing resources. That said, I'm *sure* there are some people that would throw a fit if something didn't have mask blend... I don't know if they even use it, but it going missing would cause some freak out for sure. Not really the most helpful thing to hear, but my 2c...

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2012) [#3]
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Anyone else? .. With 24-bit images these days it's a bit harder to imagine a lot of people would still be using one color for a mask instead of just alphablending.