bmax vs b3d?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/bmax vs b3d?

stanrol(Posted 2012) [#1]
bmax vs b3d?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2012) [#2]
??? For what purpose?

Making applications, using a OpenGL or third-party 3D module for 3D apps/games, making 2D games? BlitzMax rocks.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#3]
The different is

BLITZ MAX used Direct X 9 onward

Blitz 3D stuck at Direct X 7 but you still can create Beautiful games

GaryV(Posted 2012) [#4]
bmax vs b3d?

None of the above.

Banshee(Posted 2012) [#5]
Whatever works for you really.

Blitz3D is a simpler and easier to use product and much more BASIC like. It is limited to DX7.

BlitzMax requires a 3D engine to be bolted on to it to achieve the same level of power, it's not as accessible and is more complex to use. However, once you master BlitzMax it is substantially more powerful and has things like multi-threaded support and a much more object orientated syntax.

It was after playing around with BlitzMax for a couple of years that I learned the skills that eventually would lead me to become a professional developer, and Blitz3D certainly would not have prepared me for that or given me the confidence despite being able to create some good content very quickly with it.

There are other tools too of course, but for me I like BlitzMax and it does everything I want except 64bit support, so i'm not about to change soon.

*(Posted 2012) [#6]
Blitzmax is cross platform tbh its a whole different beasty, not only is there third party 3d solutions but you can roll your own using opengl

Blitz3d is dx7 and is limited to windows but as has been said is easier to use and more feature complete for what it is

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#7]
I bought both and have enjoyed using them both. BlitzMax is a little more complicated than Blitz3D. BlitzMax can use many 3d engines like Irrlicht, Ogre, MiniB3D, 3Impact, and a bunch more. BlitzMax is your better pick. You wont be sorry!

If you just want to do 3d games then try NuclearBasic. It is like Blitz3D but more up to date feature wise.

Last edited 2012